Most business people don't think of themselves as in control of their lives. And by and large, most are not.
Why? Because they don't know how to prioritize.
Here is a look at 11 tips to guide you in your life journey. Take them in stride, act on them as you see fit, and perhaps each of you will become a better person or--at the very least--find out what matters.
1. If you are afraid, face it.
It's okay to be afraid, just never give up because of fear. Focus on the outcome, not the journey. No matter how scared you are, do the things you want to do. Remember the mantra from our heroes of 9/11 when even in danger they said, "We'll make it. We'll get out of here."
2. Persistence and perseverance always win out.
"No. No. No." "No thank you." "That's great but not today." "Get back to us in six months." "We have no budget." "Your idea stinks." "Our budget doesn't allow for that kind of expense." "Top management has mandated we go another route."
You can feel lost, fail a lot, but you must never give up. Keep trying. Sooner or later your efforts will pay off.
3. A good long talk never hurts anyone.
Don't lose sight of the importance of talking things out. Whether going for a Krispy Kreme donut, having a cup of tea in your den or gathering at a church event, always have a safe haven to discuss what concerns you.
4. A good long listen helps both parties.
Toss yourself to the side for a moment and discover the importance of listening. Set up a time when any and all can come and be heard. Throw in a pat on the back or a good long hug and you've got a friend for life.
5. Being true to yourself is what matters most.
No matter how much money is coming in, never stop producing. Remain constant in your appreciation of what you love to do. Learn to love to do the things you do and your life will forever be happy. You are as good as anyone else and, oftentimes, a whole lot better. Don't lose sight of this. Be proud of who you are and let no one lead you down a path of mediocrity.
6. Do all you can and you will have a good story to tell afterwards.
Just do it, get out there and explore the world with your passion and desire. See what happens. Then share it with others.
7. Choose friends that care.
Your friends should reflect a tapestry of yourself--serious, wild or intellectual. But when the going gets tough, they are always there for you.
8. Dream BIG.
I'm the biggest dreamer of them all and because of that, I have led myself, and others, on a wild adventure in life. If you want to have a full life, you must dream BIG. Refuse to settle for anything less than turning a dream into a reality.
9. Use your brain above all else.
People have a choice to think or not think. Maximize the use of your mind. It's your only source of knowledge and survival.
10. Action makes reality.
Want to change? Then take action. If you try 100 things, maybe one will go your way.
11. Laugh everyday at yourself and along with others.
Life is what you make of it and if you take it too seriously, it will be serious. Laugh when you can, help others laugh too. Lighten up. Chew some bubble gum, go rollerskating or fly a kite. You'd be surprised at the joy the simplest things in life can bring.
Continue reading "11 Tips To Guide Your Work Life" ... Read the full article
Take the first step (it's free).
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Career Management:
- How to Tell If You Have a Toxic Boss [Infographic]
- 11 Home Office Decor Ideas to Improve Productivity [Infographic]
- Don't Just Survive, Thrive: Hacks for High Performance by Cate Murden on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- The 3Cs of Marketing Success: Ride the Wave to Go Far in Work and Life
- The Big Challenge for Marketers and Marketing in 2021: Michael Barber on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]