Why would you want to guest-post? The answer should really start with a rhetorical "why wouldn't you?"
But the reality is that we often come up with excuses for why we shouldn't share our expertise with others in our industry or outside of it.
The fear of revealing too much or giving valuable knowledge away for free has prevented many a marketer or businessperson from achieving career goals and receiving a myriad of other benefits, such as...
- Branding yourself and your company as industry thought leaders and subject-matter experts
- Increasing audience reach, including other types of audiences
- Making new connections and building relationships with influencers and publishers
- Driving traffic—and leads—to your website
- Increasing brand awareness and credibility (when your entire team guest posts)
So, how do you start?
There's not just one way to begin guest-posting, but the steps outlined in this guide will walk you through a few approaches, plus some best-practices and suggestions.
1. Identify your area of expertise
You must first identify the topics you are capable of writing about and which you want to specialize in, before you begin your search for websites that are an appropriate fit—i.e., they cover similar topics and they reach the audience you want to reach.
So, ask yourself:
- What subjects do I know the most about?
- How many topics should I explore?
- How much experience do I have in these topics?
- What would set me apart from other bloggers?