As more and more online marketers realize the importance of links to their Web success, services selling bogus and useless linking related services proliferate....
I get at least five inquiries a day from mostly off-shore firms offering to "Turbo Boost My Link-Building Efforts!"
Some sell packages of links. Give them $2,000 and they'll put a link to your site on 200 other sites or some such nonsense. I call it "nonsense" because the sole pupose of these "link sellers" is to convince you your search rankings are so dependant on links that if you don't do what they claim you will surely go out of business....
Nothing could be more wrong. The truth is that any link you can get either by buying bulk links or even buying one at a time could very easily come back to haunt you. The engines are on the lookout of these "rouge links."
Engines want to trust links, and for the most part paid links can't be trusted (don't get me started on the Yahoo directory link that costs you $299 a year. YES, it's a paid link. YES it can be trusted. But it's one of only a handful of exceptions to the "links can't be trusted" rule. Business.com is another.)
I'm not telling you you shouldn't buy links. Sure, buy them. But don't buy them for link popularity or search engine ranking purposes. Buy them for the audience they appear in front of. That's called advertising. A banner ad and a paid link are the same thing when you do it for the audience rather than for Google's algorithm.
And if you do buy links, buy them from a reputable company. There are a handful you can trust. Send me an email and I'll share them. If I listed them here I'd get hate mail for weeks from those off-shore guys.
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Content:
- Tips for Optimizing Your Marketing Videos [Infographic]
- Using Video Testimonials as a Tool for B2B Growth: Alexander Ferguson on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- Creating Deal-Closing Content: The Pivotal Role of Conversation Intelligence
- The Writing GPS: A Writing Framework That Makes Your Writing Ridiculously Good
- Empowering B2B Marketing Teams With an AI Content Process: May Habib on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- 2023 B2B Content Marketing Report: Benchmarks, Budgets, and Trends