The only way to enjoy the freedom of owning your own business is to enjoy the act of marketing your own business....
It's funny how many small business owners I run across that claim that they just don't get this marketing thing, or worse, they claim that they hate this whole marketing thing. Here's the rub, no matter what business you think you are in, you're actually in the marketing business. Plain and simple all businesses are marketing businesses. The purpose of a business, as Peter Drucker was fond of saying, is to create a customer -- everything else is just window dressing.
So, back to our point. The only way to get good at your marketing business is to enjoy your marketing business. Stop fighting it and have some fun. Marketing is not rocket surgery folks -- it's common sense. If you enjoy your work, are passionate about your products, love demonstrating how you can make life better for your clients, then the rest may just be window dressing.
Lighten up, bottle your enthusiasm, make it easy for people to experience your expertise and then hit the phones (or virtual pavement.) Fun in contagious and its counters, fear, hesitation and cynicism are real marketing turn-offs. Prospects are drawn to people and companies that exude enthusiasm -- everyone wants a piece of that.
Yes, you may have to open up and let people know who you really are - and that can be the hardest part of marketing for some - but don't let that stand in your way.
So, tell me what you do to keep marketing fun, to enjoy the ride?
Take the first step (it's free).
You may also like:
- Beyond Content Marketing: 10 Steps to Real ROI With Content Operations
- Optimize Content Strategy With Insights From a New Study: NetLine's David Fortino on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- 15 Tools to Boost Your YouTube Marketing
- Relationships, Relevance, and Content Marketing for Banks: Shondell Varcianna on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- How 'Tangential Content' Can Elevate Your B2B Company's Link-Building