Just in from CNET: Blogs to books: A six-figure industry?....
Bloggers are scoring rich paydays by turning their online diaries into books, but some publishers say the craze could fizzle out with a glut of new titles destined to yield disappointing sales. Is this a good or a bad thing?
Well, good for those few bloggers whose posts are worthy of a book; bad for the rest of us who don't blog our books but recognize a difference in style is required for different mediums. In the end, I think this may also be bad for those publishers tantalized by diaries but unconcerned and uncritical of writing styles.
This is what I see:
1. More mediocrity and trash on bookstore shelves, leaving less room for books worthy of a summer's read.
2. More taxi drivers, prostitutes, administrative assistance and, yes, marketers thinking they have something to say, when they don't. While a few paragraphs may carry a post, most bloggers may get lost turning those paragraphs into 50,000 to 200,000 words.
3. Books are hard to write (and so are good posts). I have written five and can't imagine doing it blog-style. While you have seen a page or two from my upcoming book appear here, I rewrote those excerpts for quick reads, which is what blog posts are designed to achieve.
4. Finally, an economic observation. If I can read your book on your blog, why would I pay $19.95 to bring it home?
Am I wrong?
Oh, boy. The dreaded sign up form.
Before you run for the hills, we wanted to let you know that MarketingProfs has thousands of marketing resources, including this one (yes, the one behind this sign up form), entirely free!
Simply subscribe to our newsletter and get instant access to how-to articles, guides, webinars and more for nada, nothing, zip, zilch, on the house...delivered right to your inbox! MarketingProfs is the largest marketing community in the world, and we are here to help you be a better marketer.
You may also like:
- Do Most B2B Marketers Gate Content?
- A Podcast Within a Podcast Within a Podcast: Inception Marketing With Lindsay Tjepkema on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- B2B Content Marketing Report: Benchmarks, Budgets, Trends, and COVID-19 Response
- Effective Content Types for Each Stage of the Buyer's Journey [Infographic]
- Beyond Content Marketing: 10 Steps to Real ROI With Content Operations