"There is a saying in sales that you should never sell past the sale," writes Jim Logan in a recent post at Saleskick. "In other words, when someone decides to purchase from you, stop selling." But that doesn't mean you should stop reassuring new customers about their purchase decision, he quickly adds. "Immediately following the sale, your job of customer support begins," he explains. "And it never ends."
What's the best way to reassure—but not annoy—a new B2B client? Logan offers tips on how to effectively reinforce a purchase decision—and start a lifelong relationship based on it. Among his tips:
- "Contact the person the day after the purchase and reiterate how pleased you are they're now a customer and how you expect the purchase to benefit them," he advises. "Contact can be a telephone call or email."
- Educate your new client on what to expect next. "Give them clear and reasonable expectations on what they should be doing and what you're doing now that their purchase has been made," he suggests.
- Let them know exactly how to request information and support should they have a question or issue.
- Give them an update when a purchased product ships, provide tracking information and call to make sure it arrives.
- Give your current clients a first look at new offerings and special discounts.
"First impressions count a lot in business, as they do in personal life, and getting new customers integrated in your support system and reassured in their purchase decision is critical to ongoing success," Logan concludes.
The Po!nt: Show them why they were right to choose you. By offering new clients just the right amount of guidance and information, you can nurture a mutually beneficial relationship for the years ahead.
→ end article preview
Read the Full Article