You might have heard the term "blockchain," and you might even know how it works (kind of).
But how is blockchain fundamentally going to change marketing as we know it?
The rumors are true—blockchain is here to stay—and it's time to truly understand its scope and impact.
Let's review a quick glossary of terms
First things first: blockchain is not synonymous with Bitcoin.
Now let's get to the basics before we move ahead:
- Blockchain is the technology that enables cryptocurrency to exist. Essentially, it records cryptographically bound transactions between peer-to-peer networks. Blockchain's security works because it's encrypted and decentralized.
- Cryptocurrency is the method of exchange, such as the US dollar, in digital form. Cryptocurrency involves encryption techniques to regulate creation of monetary units and to verify the transfer of funds.
- Bitcoin is the best-known type of cryptocurrency. Blockchain technology was invented for this type of currency, but there are other currencies, such as Ethereum, Ripple, and Litecoin.
Here's a fun video from PCMag that explains how Blockchain works:
Take the first step (it's free).
You may also like:
- The Role Technology Plays in the Lives of Gen Alpha Kids [Infographic]
- A Connected World in Flux: 10 Insights for Marketing and Business Leaders [Infographic]
- Capitalize on the Culture of Laziness: Five Subscription and DTC E-Commerce Trends for 2020
- It's Coming: Is Your Brand Prepared for an Economic Downturn?
- B2B Marketers' Plans for 2020: Spend, Objective, and Strategy Trends