Our brains are wired to react to stories and storytelling, explains neuroscientist Ali Jennings.
In this, the fifth and final video of the Context Is Everything* series of interviews, Jennings explains how the brain responds to various elements of stories.
For example, when a story establishes stress, our brains release cortisol—attracting us to the story. When the stress is over, the story is resolved; we then exude dopamine—which rewards us. Jennings explains how this powerful combination of hormones is inextricably linked to storytelling—and that marketers can capitalize on it.
What's just as important about stories is that they are inseparable from the environment that surrounds them. And That fact has important bearing on digital marketing.
If we're showing video advertising on a website, then that context for the video is as important as the video itself. Our brains cannot, Jennings explains, distinguish between the story and its environment.
Watch the video to find out more details about how storytelling in context affects our brains:
*The Context is Everything series of videos presents highlights of discussions with neuroscientists, linguists, and behavioral psychologists about how people react to video messages in the digital environment. The series is a project of video intelligence platform vi, which connects publishers, content providers, and brands through video storytelling.
Enter your email address to keep reading ...
Know someone who would enjoy it too? Share with your friends, free of charge, no sign up required! Simply share this link, and they will get instant access…
Marketing Content Articles
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Marketing Content:
- Better Writing Will Not Fix Your Content. Here's What Will.
- How to Survive the Cookieless Future: Refocus on Your Owned Media Strategy
- The Importance of Being Human in Your B2B Content: Liz Murphy on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- Seven Tips for Training the Next Generation of Content Marketers
- Why Now Is the Time to Add Video to Your Marketing Budget
- Why B2B Marketers Need to 'Prove It' With a Trust-Building Content Strategy: Melanie Deziel on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]