The study was conducted by InsightExpress for mobile-video delivery and ad network Transpera.
Mobile Important to Mobile-Video Viewers
Mobile video users rely more on their mobile device in general than non-viewers of mobile video viewers, and they also spend more time on their mobile device than on their computer, the study found.
For example, 62% of mobile-video users surveyed use their mobile phone more than they use a computer to browse the Internet, compared with just 9% of the non-viewers of mobile video.
Accordingly, by advertising on mobile, brands are likely to be reaching an audience they can't reach as well online or via other digital media, Transpera said.
Mobile users who watch mobile video at least once a week report media preferences and behaviors, as follows:
- 78% rely on their mobile phone for up-to-the-minute information, compared with only 19% of mobile users who have never viewed mobile video.
- 71% prefer to receive information via mobile internet, compared with just 13% of those who don't view mobile video.
58% get more of their news from the mobile phone than any other source, compared with 10% of those who have never viewed mobile video.
- 50% spend more time away from computers than in front of them, compared with the reported 21% of those not watching mobile video.
"The audience is ever-growing and video is becoming an important component to the overall mobile mix. From an engagement perspective, brands will find this audience highly attentive."
Key Targets for Advertisers
The avid mobile-video viewer has a profile that is more attractive for brand advertisers than those who have never viewed video on mobile. For example:
- 75% of avid mobile-video users surveyed eat out of the home two or more times a week, compared with only 47% of the non-video watchers.
- 59% of avid mobile-video users have spent more than five nights in a hotel in the past year, compared with just 34% of the non-video watchers.
- 40% of avid mobile-video users earn more than $75K in annual income, compared with 25% of non-video watchers.
- 60% of the avid mobile video users surveyed are male.
"Mobile is a great place for marketers to connect with savvy audiences who are increasingly relying on mobile exclusively in their daily lives. This is very important unduplicated reach for marketers, and the quality and breadth of video content now easily accessible means more and more consumers are turning to their phones for 24/7 access to news, sports, entertainment, weather and more," concluded Frank Barbieri, CEO and founder of Transpera.
About the findings: Reported data is based on sample of 3,720 consumers surveyed through InsightExpress's eRDD technology.
Oh, boy. The dreaded sign up form.
Before you run for the hills, we wanted to let you know that MarketingProfs has thousands of marketing resources, including this one (yes, the one behind this sign up form), entirely free!
Simply subscribe to our newsletter and get instant access to how-to articles, guides, webinars and more for nada, nothing, zip, zilch, on the house...delivered right to your inbox! MarketingProfs is the largest marketing community in the world, and we are here to help you be a better marketer.