Mobile marketing is on track to grow 27% to a $2.1 billion market in 2010, according to the Mobile Marketing Association. The total mobile audience is still relatively small, however, and is confined to a limited market segment; moreover, marketers who reach out to the wrong mobile audience risk turning them off, according to BIGresearch's Simultaneous Media Usage Survey.
In general, men are more likely than women (58% vs. 42%) to be mobile marketing users; users also tend to be younger than non-users (age 39, on average, vs. age 46).
Mobile marketing users represent a desirable consumer group for specific products, such as electronics: 22.4% of mobile marketing users plan to buy a computer in the next six months, compared with 13.1% of non-mobile marketing users; 20.2 % plan to buy a TV (compared with 12.6%) and 11.2% plan to buy a digital camera (compared with 7.1%).
Increased Distaste for Mobile Marketing
As of June 2009, the percentage of adults (18+) who dislike mobile marketing increased over the previous year:
- 66.8% of adults said they disliked text ads in June 2009, compared with 63.8% in June 2008.
- 60.2% disliked voicemail ads, compared with 56.8% in 2008.
- 59.6% disliked video ads, compared with 56.1% in 2008.
- 58.0% said marketers need permission before sending an ad, compared with 55.6% in 2008.
- 52.1% think ads are an invasion of privacy, compared with 49.5% in 2008.
About the data: BIGresearch conducts the Simultaneous Media Survey (SIMM) of 15,000+ respondents semi-annually. SIMM 14, from which the above-presented data is derived, surveyed 22,624 people from April 29 to June 18, 2009.
Know someone who would enjoy it too? Share with your friends, free of charge, no sign up required! Simply share this link, and they will get instant access…
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Advertising:
- LinkedIn Ads Myths, Hurdles, and Strategies B2B Marketers Need to Know: AJ Wilcox on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- The PPC Power Players: Ad Platforms Making a Big Impact in 2023
- The Top 50 Podcasts in the United States [Infographic]
- Out-of-Home Advertising for B2B Marketing Success | Marketing Smarts Live Show
- Identifying the Best Advertising Strategy for Your Business | Marketing Smarts Live Show
- YouTube's Rebound: Ad Revenue Forecasts for 2023-24