Content marketing continues to be an integral strategy for B2B companies; however, objectives for content strategies are shifting toward thought leadership and educating the market, according to a survey from Curata.
Nearly 9 in 10 surveyed B2B marketing professionals (87%) say they use content marketing to achieve business goals, up from the 82% who said so in 2011, the survey found.
Other top channels in marketing strategies in 2012 are SEO (67%) and event marketing (60%), according to the study.
Meanwhile, the use of traditional marketing tactics such as print/TV/radio advertising continues to decrease, down 6 percentage points from 32% in 2011 to 26% in 2012.
Below, additional findings from Curata's second annual B2B Marketing Survey.
Content Marketing Objectives
Though engaging customers (81%) is still the top objective for most content marketing strategies, thought leadership and educating the market are becoming bigger priorities:
- 56% of B2B marketers cite thought leadership as a key objective of their content strategy, up from 43% in 2011.
- 47% cite educating the market as a content marketing objective, up from 44% a year earlier.
- 24% cite SEO as a key objective of their content strategy, up from 19% in 2011.
Overall Marketing Goals
Not surprisingly, 82% of B2B marketers rank driving sales and leads as their top marketing goal, followed by establishing thought leadership (42%), boosting brand awareness (40%), and increasing Web traffic (32%).
Content curation is gaining traction as a popular form of content marketing: 57% of B2B marketers use the tactic and only 31% do not.
Even so, content curation is still in its early stages: 34% of those now curating content have been doing so for six months or less.
Other key findings:
- 43% of B2B marketers don't measure the outcomes of content marketing programs.
- B2B marketers' top challenges related to content marketing are limited budget (27%) and limited staff (25%).
About the data: Findings from Curata's second annual B2B Marketing Survey are based on a poll of 465 B2B marketing professionals in October 2012. Respondents included CMOs and VPs of Marketing; marketing directors, managers and specialists; marketing consultants and agencies; and business owners.
Continue reading "B2B Content Marketing: Adoption Surging, but Objectives Are Shifting" ... Read the full article
MarketingProfs provides thousands of marketing resources, entirely free!
Simply subscribe to our newsletter and get instant access to how-to articles, guides, webinars and more for nada, nothing, zip, zilch, on the house...delivered right to your inbox! MarketingProfs is the largest marketing community in the world, and we are here to help you be a better marketer.
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Content:
- Does Including Video on Site Landing Pages Boost Conversions?
- Struggling to Write Effective Whitepapers? Here Are Five Steps for Planning One
- 12 Boosts for Speeding Up Your Content Campaign Delivery [Infographic]
- Growing and Changing: The Evolution of the Podcast Audience
- Five Quick Video SEO Tips to Help More People Find Your Content