William Arruda, called the personal branding guru by Entrepreneur magazine, is the founder of Reach Personal Branding. He shares his personal-branding wisdom through his public speaking and his bestselling book, Career Distinction: Stand Out by Building Your Brand.
But he is also passionate about TV commercials. In fact, William has an enormous collection of advertisements dating back to the 1970s. Sadly, he says, most of his TV ads are on VHS. But thanks to the Internet and YouTube, he nonetheless has access to most of the commercials he has collected over the decades.
Here, William shares some of his favorite ads. And true to his style, he offers up a lesson for how the ad relates to your personal brand—after all, it's all about personal branding... at least, in his world.
Campaign: Get a Mac
Ad: Bean Counter
We love this commercial because...
"It pokes fun at a competitor's weakness—and most people who know me know that I am an Apple brand ambassador!" says Arruda. This ad and the others in the series hit Microsoft so hard ("BTW, I am a Microsoft fan as well," Arruda asserts) that it created its own series of ads rebutting Apple's claims.
This ad and YOUR personal brand: "While it's most important to tout your own strengths and what makes you exceptional, sometimes (when it makes sense) it's also valuable to demonstrate your differentiation by highlighting a glaring weakness in a competitor," Arruda points out. "What do you do that your competitor's can't?"
Got an idea for a MarketingProfs Daily Chirp? Shout it out!
Know someone who would enjoy it too? Share with your friends, free of charge, no sign up required! Simply share this link, and they will get instant access…
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Advertising:
- LinkedIn Ads Myths, Hurdles, and Strategies B2B Marketers Need to Know: AJ Wilcox on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- The PPC Power Players: Ad Platforms Making a Big Impact in 2023
- The Top 50 Podcasts in the United States [Infographic]
- Out-of-Home Advertising for B2B Marketing Success | Marketing Smarts Live Show
- Identifying the Best Advertising Strategy for Your Business | Marketing Smarts Live Show
- YouTube's Rebound: Ad Revenue Forecasts for 2023-24