Human beings, your customers included, are concerned about their status in society—and have been for as long as societies have existed. That's because much of status-seeking is instinctual: It's hard-coded in us because status improves our chances of survival.
"People learned early on that respect from their community translated directly into better protection, more desirable mating options, and better cuts of shared resources like food and shelter," points out a blog post and infographic by Lexington Law, which provides credit-repair services.
In modern consumer societies, that instinct can express itself in some interesting ways. For example, 77% of Millennials admit to having made a purchase so that they could post about it on Instagram.
Psychologists categorize status as an "esteem need" on Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs:
Take the first step (it's free).
You may also like:
- The Next Decade of E-Commerce: A Shift From Intent to Discovery
- Your Lead Data Is Bad, Fix It With Predictive Lead Scoring
- Get Ahead: Top Tips for Successful Demand Generation
- A Guide for Creating and Optimizing B2B Content Marketing Funnels [Infographic]
- How to Craft a Concise B2B Sales Pitch in Limited Time