Seth Godin says so. At least so says the title of his latest book, All Marketers Are Liars. However, once you start reading the book, it's clear that what Seth means is...
...that All Marketers Are Storytellers. He even admitted it at a recent IIR conference in Las Vegas. He is right to point out that there is perhaps no more important job for the entire enterprise, and, if marketers do not tell the master story, no one will. Never short on examples, Seth has great stories posted on his "Liars" blog.
Problem is, top execs will not read the content of the book, but seeing the title and the mug with the Pinocchio nose will just reinforce what they already believe about marketers. We marketers need to manage our image in the minds of our internal customers if we are to increase our power, influence and business impact.
At MarketingPorfs, our mission is to make marketers current and effective. And sometimes that means managing the perceptions of marketing inside our companies. Allen Weiss, Publisher of MarketingProfs, has written about how we can get more respect, and I have written about how to make marketing matter to your CEO and CFO.
Let us know about what your are doing that works to increase the stature of marketing inside your organization.
Oh, boy. The dreaded sign up form.
Before you run for the hills, we wanted to let you know that MarketingProfs has thousands of marketing resources, including this one (yes, the one behind this sign up form), entirely free!
Simply subscribe to our newsletter and get instant access to how-to articles, guides, webinars and more for nada, nothing, zip, zilch, on the house...delivered right to your inbox! MarketingProfs is the largest marketing community in the world, and we are here to help you be a better marketer.
You may also like:
- A Podcast Within a Podcast Within a Podcast: Inception Marketing With Lindsay Tjepkema on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- B2B Content Marketing Report: Benchmarks, Budgets, Trends, and COVID-19 Response
- Effective Content Types for Each Stage of the Buyer's Journey [Infographic]
- Beyond Content Marketing: 10 Steps to Real ROI With Content Operations
- Optimize Content Strategy With Insights From a New Study: NetLine's David Fortino on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]