Mike Wagner wrote a heartfelt valentine to Mom .... the original "brand manager" .... on his Own Your Brand blog. His own Mom, he says, in essence taught him...
...the fundamentals of brand ownership. Mike writes:
I can still hear her voice in those brand-critical "moments of truth" every parent faces raising children:
* "I don't care if everyone else is doing it, you won't be doing it."
* "That's not how I taught you to treat people. Go back and make it right!"
* "Are you going out looking like that? That's not how you dress to meet the public!"
* "That's how we do things in this family!" (The ultimate brand management dictum.)
In a comment, Tom Guarriello summed up Mike's post nicely: In branding, "–leaders (Moms, in your example) make all the difference. Keeping the brand personality on the right track, making sure it's well behaved, well dressed and well spoken is a huge undertaking–kind of like raising a child."
So give your own Mom a huge thanks! And yes, I realize Mother's Day was yesterday, so I'm a day late in flagging Mike's Thank You. But speaking as a Mom, trust me–mothers are happy to hear "thank you" any old time: Mother's Day, again on the day after Mother's Day, or any old Tuesday in May.
As long as they hear it–eventually.
Know someone who would enjoy it too? Share with your friends, free of charge, no sign up required! Simply share this link, and they will get instant access…
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Brand Management:
- The 100 Most Valuable Global Brands in 2023 [Infographic]
- How to Craft Your Brand's Elevator Pitch
- Revolutionizing B2B Brand Monitoring With AI-Powered Insights: Meghan Bazaman on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- Research: Now Is the Time for Brand Marketing (And Why Data Matters for Brand Marketers)
- A 'Brand Differentiation Through Experience Innovation' Conversation: Allen Adamson on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- Developing an Indispensable Brand-Inspired Growth Strategy | Marketing Smarts Live Show