Guaranteed: This post will make you think before you put information into social network profiles.
I often wonder why people put so much personal information into their social networking profiles -- from their actual birthday to their favorite books and movies. Forget privacy, we simply don't have any. And if you were going to comment that this is what we get for spending so much time online, try reading the privacy agreement on your credit card, or your medical insurance.
Everything online is there forever in one form or another. Think before you add another stupid sharing app - would I want a potential client to see this? Would I want my family to see this? Would I want this on the first page of the newspaper? If the answer to any of these questions is "no", don't put a photo from a wild party, account of your breakup, etc, etc., online.
And remember, reporters looking for information about you will surely look to see if you're on MySpace, etc.
Everything you say can come back to haunt you. Online, everything is forever. Comments you make on blogs, in forums, in social media groups, etc. will all show up in searches on your name. Think twice before you hit "submit" or "send."
There IS such a thing as bad publicity.
- How to Protect Yourself From Being Misquoted
- Personal Data of Millions Lost in U.K. Security Breach
- Beware the Stealth Interview
- Facebook's Tracking of User Activity Riles Privacy Advocates, Members
Continue reading "Think You Have ANY Online Privacy? Think Again!" ... Read the full article
MarketingProfs provides thousands of marketing resources, entirely free!
Simply subscribe to our newsletter and get instant access to how-to articles, guides, webinars and more for nada, nothing, zip, zilch, on the house...delivered right to your inbox! MarketingProfs is the largest marketing community in the world, and we are here to help you be a better marketer.
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Content:
- No Time to Create Content? Turn One Webinar Into Nine Marketing Pieces in Less Than 14 Days... Without Killing Yourself
- Storytelling in B2B: Bobby Lehew on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- A 17-Step Process for Creating High-Performing Articles [Infographic]
- Why Do B2B Marketers Need an Agile CMS?
- Webinar Benchmarks: Promotion and Attendance Trends