What words do you come across in marketing that make you grab your head and screech in agony? You know what I'm talking about... Are you driven crazy by the phrase "thinking outside the box"? How about "paradigm shift"?
We put the question to the MarketingProfs Facebook group, and the answers were fun and entertaining. We also found ourselves nodding at each suggestion.
Unfortunately, marketers do reach for the most-used words... and they do so without thinking about the meaning of the words. It's easy to just automatically add a dash of "thought leadership" or "the journey" ... and not take the time to think of bright and shining new expressions. But laziness in writing leads to laziness in the reader. Who hasn't abandoned an article or presentation strewn with exhausted phrases?
To help you pluck worn phrases from your own writing, I created the slide show below. Some Facebook comments lend themselves more to a visual than others or just made us laugh, and so I reached for my Sharpies and colored pencils to draw up a slideshow.
Enjoy the slideshow below of buzzwords that we need to put on the "Do Not Use Anymore!" list.
If you'd like to add some of your own most-hated buzzwords, please chime in the comments box.
Oh, boy. The dreaded sign up form.
Before you run for the hills, we wanted to let you know that MarketingProfs has thousands of marketing resources, including this one (yes, the one behind this sign up form), entirely free!
Simply subscribe to our newsletter and get instant access to how-to articles, guides, webinars and more for nada, nothing, zip, zilch, on the house...delivered right to your inbox! MarketingProfs is the largest marketing community in the world, and we are here to help you be a better marketer.
You may also like:
- A Podcast Within a Podcast Within a Podcast: Inception Marketing With Lindsay Tjepkema on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- B2B Content Marketing Report: Benchmarks, Budgets, Trends, and COVID-19 Response
- Effective Content Types for Each Stage of the Buyer's Journey [Infographic]
- Beyond Content Marketing: 10 Steps to Real ROI With Content Operations
- Optimize Content Strategy With Insights From a New Study: NetLine's David Fortino on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]