In the olden days, the internet felt like a sprawling playground and folks were happy to run into each other on the equipment. Now, however, some places on the internet feel like they've been taken over by bullies. So, what's up with this growing wave of cyberbullying mean for businesses?
Marketing Smarts podcast host Kerry O'Shea Gorgone recently talked to author Andrea Weckerle, author of Civility in the Digital Age: How Companies and People Can Triumph over Haters, Trolls, Bullies and Other Jerks, about the rise of trolls, jerks, and bullies in the online world. (You can listen to the entire podcast here.)
As I listened, I pulled out the highlights of the podcast in my sketchnotes.
Among the highlights in the Marketing Smarts podcast...
- Remember that the online life is real. Insults aren't 'just words.' It's not OK. (Click to tweet!)
- Being a jerk isn't illegal. Libel and slander are. (Click to tweet!)
- Know your style for handling conflict and what your anger triggers are. (Click to tweet!)
- Your response to conflict greatly sets the tone for the exchange. (Click to tweet!)
- Good will goes a long way when companies make a mistake. Folks already like and support them. (Click to tweet!)
Want to know more about creating a crisis management system to handle trolls, jerks, and bullies online? Want to be able to identify the difference between someone just being a jerk or someone breaking the law by committing libel or slander? Then check out the the info-packed and engaging conversation on the Marketing Smarts podcast.
Continue reading "Dealing With Trolls, Jerks, and Other Online Bullies [Slideshow]" ... Read the full article
MarketingProfs provides thousands of marketing resources, entirely free!
Simply subscribe to our newsletter and get instant access to how-to articles, guides, webinars and more for nada, nothing, zip, zilch, on the house...delivered right to your inbox! MarketingProfs is the largest marketing community in the world, and we are here to help you be a better marketer.
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Marketing Strategy:
- Five Tips for Creating a Successful B2B Marketing Campaign
- Are You Making the Right B2B Martech Investments to Optimize for Agile Methods?
- Creating a Better Audience Experience: Oli Gardner on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- How Senior Marketers Set Their Budgets
- Four Ways to Reduce Churn and Create a Companywide Culture of Customer Success