With all the talk about the future of marketing, we marketers forget about the changes happening right now, right in front of us. Voice search is one of those phenomena, and it's affecting search results as you read.
And it's a trend that marketers can easily capitalize on with the right optimization techniques.
How important is voice search optimization today? Some 40% of adults now use voice search once per day, according to comScore, and Google voice search queries were up 35 fold in 2016 from 2008 levels, according to Mary Meeker's 2016 Internet Trends report.
In short, it's time to optimize your website for voice search.
Fortunately, doing so is not rocket science. You can have your website ranking for certain phrases within a few weeks, if you start using the following four strategies today.
1. Questions Over Keywords
Sure, keywords are vital to search engine optimization (SEO). And, yes, that still applies when we talk about voice searches. But voice searches are largely about answering questions, not about focusing on individual keywords.
If you're trying to optimize a website for a flower shop, you wouldn't focus on short-tail keywords like "fresh flowers" or "[insert city] flower shops." Instead, you'd aim to address a consumer's specific question, such as "how to setup a flower arrangement for a patio area?"
Take the first step (it's free).
You may also like:
- Influencers, SEO, and Getting More Done Than Seems Humanly Possible: Andy Crestodina on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- Underrated But Effective Link-Building Tactics for SEO [Infographic]
- A Step-by-Step Guide to Google My Business: Set Up and Optimize Your Profile [Infographic]
- SEO Isn't an Exact Science... Here's What Marketers Can Do About That
- The Ultimate SEO Checklist [Infographic]