"Enter for a chance to win..."
I see that call to action—or something similar—all over.
You do, too. Social media is certainly no exception. Contests, competitions, and sweepstakes are raging hot across the major networks as a go-to strategy for so many content marketers.
The answer is that we humans are wired to get involved in contests. We want to play, compete, and, of course, win.
As a copywriter and marketing strategist, I've been probing what makes people tick for decades. I know a fair share about what engages people, but I'm no psychologist.
So I did some research because I wanted to know why "contest marketing" is so compelling.
I picked up these insights from Sander van der Linder PhD on Psychology Today:
- For most people, there is something inexplicably compelling about the nature of competition.
- "Competitiveness" is a biological trait that co-evolved with the basic need for survival.
Take the first step (it's free).
You may also like:
- Three Creative Habits to Inspire You and Make You More Productive [Infographic]
- Press the Damn Button: Livestreaming-Expert Brian Fanzo on Marketing Smarts
- Five Surefire Ways to Boost Your B2B Marketing Content's Readership
- Why Testimonials Are B2B Companies' Most Important Marketing Tool
- An Analysis of 912 Million Blog Posts: Length, Link, and Share Trends