"Enter for a chance to win..."
I see that call to action—or something similar—all over.
You do, too. Social media is certainly no exception. Contests, competitions, and sweepstakes are raging hot across the major networks as a go-to strategy for so many content marketers.
The answer is that we humans are wired to get involved in contests. We want to play, compete, and, of course, win.
As a copywriter and marketing strategist, I've been probing what makes people tick for decades. I know a fair share about what engages people, but I'm no psychologist.
So I did some research because I wanted to know why "contest marketing" is so compelling.
I picked up these insights from Sander van der Linder PhD on Psychology Today:
- For most people, there is something inexplicably compelling about the nature of competition.
- "Competitiveness" is a biological trait that co-evolved with the basic need for survival.
Take the first step (it's free).
You may also like:
- Content Marketing Operations: Five Essentials for Consistent Success
- Four Steps for Conducting an Efficient Content Audit and Deriving the Most Value From Your Content
- How to Create High-Converting Descriptions for Your Product Pages
- Top B2B Content Marketing Statistics for Your 2020 Content Strategy [Infographic]
- Seven Ways to Build a Loyal Customer Base With Content Marketing