Marketers continue to grapple with effectively allocating media in a changing consumer-controlled marketplace in which social media is a growing force. But who are these consumers using social media, what are their social-media usage patterns, and do they actually buy anything?
Social media users are likely to use more than one platform, some at a higher rate than others, according to a new analysis from BIGresearch.
For example, 60.2% of MySpace Users (those who regularly use the application) regularly use Facebook as well; on the other hand, just 24% of Facebook users also use MySpace.
Demographically, social-media users tend to be younger than the overall population, they have slightly higher income, and more are female.
In addition, marketers planning on moving products should focus on this consumer set, as they are more likely to be making a big-dollar purchase over the next six months than adults 18+ overall.
Looking specifically at users of each platform:
- Among those profiled, Facebook users average 37 years of age, and MySpace users are the youngest, with the average age at 33.
- LinkedIn users have the highest incomes.
- Social media usage for ethnic groups indexes high across most social-media platforms.
About the data: The above analysis is based on BIGresearch's Simultaneous Media Usage Survey (SIMM 14-June '09) of over 22,000 consumers. BIGresearch conducts the monthly Consumer Intentions and Actions Survey (CIA) of 8,000+ respondents and the semi-annual Simultaneous Media Survey (SIMM) of 15,000+ respondents.
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Social Media:
- How to Find a Perfect Audience on Social Media [Infographic]
- Creating B2B Social Media Content That Fuels Human Connections: Brooke Sellas on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- How to Create a Social Media Style Guide in Five Steps
- The Magical Combination of B2B Marketing and Instagram: Jenn Herman on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- Where Influencers Wield the Most Influence [Infographic]
- Four B2B Event Marketing Takeaways From TikTok