Over one-half (51%) of Super Bowl viewers enjoy the commercials that air throughout the game more than the game itself, according to the Nielsen Company. The remaining 49% say they enjoy the game more than the ads.
Although Super Bowl ads on average are more effective than the typical television commercial, ads placed in the first quarter of the Super Bowl are better remembered and better liked:
Across three metrics of ad effectiveness, including general recall, brand linkage, and likeability, there is a steep drop-off as the game progresses to the fourth quarter, when ad performance settles at a level that is closer to the average for all television ads.
For example, general recall for ads airing in the first quarter of the game is on average 69%, but slips to 58% by the fourth quarter. Likeability for ads in the first quarter is on average 40%, but falls to 25% by the fourth quarter.
Looking for great digital marketing data? MarketingProfs reviewed more than 200 research sources and selected 64 of the best to create the Digital Marketing Factbook a 144-page compilation of data and 110 charts, covering email marketing, search engine marketing, and social media. Also check out The State of Social Media Marketing, a 240-page original research report from MarketingProfs.
"This survey reinforces the value of the Super Bowl as a marketing bonanza, featuring one of the most receptive TV audiences in the world," said Randall Beard, executive vice-president of Nielsen IAG.
"With so many viewers waiting for the pitch, the pressure is on advertisers to create and place ads that will have a lasting impact."
About the data: Results are based on a sample of more than 25,000 households in Nielsen's Homescan panel.
Continue reading "Super Bowl Viewers Tune in for Ads" ... Read the full article
MarketingProfs provides thousands of marketing resources, entirely free!
Simply subscribe to our newsletter and get instant access to how-to articles, guides, webinars and more for nada, nothing, zip, zilch, on the house...delivered right to your inbox! MarketingProfs is the largest marketing community in the world, and we are here to help you be a better marketer.
Sign in with your preferred account, below.
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Advertising:
- How to Use Interactive Ad Campaigns to Generate Leads
- Five Ways Digital Attribution Can Improve ROAS for CTV/OTT Advertising
- Seven Results-Driven Paid Strategies for B2B Marketing
- Global Spend Trends for Out-of-Home and Cinema Advertising
- Six Out-of-Home Advertising Tactics to Reach B2B Audiences
- Navigating Brand Response Advertising in 2022