In 2012, roughly 2.4 billion people worldwide used the Web, recording some 2.7 billion Facebook likes and 175 million tweets per day, according to a report by Pingdom, which compiled a year of data on the Internet, email, and social media.
Some key worldwide findings for 2012:
- 144 billion emails were sent per day during the year, of which 68.8% were spam.
- 43% of the top 1 million websites were hosted in the US.
- 48% of the top 100 blogs were published via WordPress.
- The market share of GoDaddy.com, the biggest domain name registrar in the world was 32.4%.
- 4 billion hours of video was viewed via YouTube each month.
- 7 PBs (petabytes, or 10 to the 15th power) of photo content was added to Facebook every month.
As of June 30, 2012, Asia accounted for the plurality (44.8%) of the world's Internet population; Europe followed with 21.6% and North America with 11.4%:
The populations of Internet users across the world (amounting to 2.4 billion users) were as follows:
- Asia: 1.1 billion Internet users
- Europe: 519 million
- North America: 274 million
- Latin America / Caribbean: 255 million
- Africa: 167 million
- Middle East: 90 million
- Oceania/Australia: 24.3 million
China had 565 million Internet users—more than any other country in the world. China's Internet penetration (among its total population) was roughly 42% in mid-2012.
World Internet Penetration
The penetration of Internet users among a population tells a slightly different story than user counts.
North America had the highest Internet penetration as of June, at 78.6%, followed by Oceana/Australia (67.6%) and Europe (63.2%).
Below, are stats on Web domains as of December 2012, from Verisign:
- Number of domain name registrations across all top-level domains: 246 million
- Number of country code top-level domain name registrations: 104.9 million
- Number of .com domain names: 100 million
- Number of .net domain names: 14.1 million
- Number of .org domain names: 9.7 million
- Number of .info domain names: 6.7 million
- Number of .biz domain names: 2.2 million
The report also compiled website stats from various data providers:
- Total number of websites as of December: 634 million
- Number of websites added in 2012: 52 million
- Share of the top 1 million websites hosted in the US: 43%
- Share of the top 100 blogs powered by WordPress: 48%
- Share of the top 10,000 websites served by open source software: 75%
- Total number of Tumblr blogs: 87.8 million
- Total number of Wordpress blogs: 60.7 million
- Number of email users worldwide: 2.2 billion
- Total email traffic per day worldwide: 144 billion messages
- Number of email clients worldwide: 4.3 billion
Other email stats, from various sources:
- Number of active Gmail users globally, making it the leading email provider worldwide: 425 million.
- Usage share of iOS, the most popular email client: 35.6%
The report also compiled user stats and engagement metrics for Facebook and Twitter in 2012, from various sources.
- Number of monthly posts by Facebook Pages in Brazil, making it the most active country on Facebook: 85,962
- Number of monthly active users on Facebook, surpassed in October: 1 billion
- Percentage of Facebook users who are woman: 47%
- Average age of a Facebook user: 40.5
- Number of likes posted on Facebook every day: 2.7 billion
- Share of the top 10,000 websites integrated with Facebook: 24.3%
- Monthly active users on Twitter, surpassed in December: 200 million
- Average number of tweets sent every day during 2012: 175 million
- Average age of a Twitter user: 37.3
- Average number of total tweets per user: 307
- Average number of followers per Twitter user: 51
- Number of heads of state with a Twtter account: 123
- Number of retweets of Barack Obama's tweet:"Four more years," the most retweets ever: 819,000+
- Number of tweets during the opening ceremony of the London 2012 Olympics: 9.66 million
Other social media stats:
- Number of members on LinkedIn (as of September): 187 million
- Average age of a LinkedIn user: 44.2
- Number of monthly active users on Google+: 135 million
- How many times per day the +1 button on Google+ is used: 5 billion
Read the full post for other data on Web browsers, search, mobile technology, video, and image content.
Continue reading "World Internet Stats: Websites, Email, Social Media, and More" ... Read the full article
MarketingProfs provides thousands of marketing resources, entirely free!
Simply subscribe to our newsletter and get instant access to how-to articles, guides, webinars and more for nada, nothing, zip, zilch, on the house...delivered right to your inbox! MarketingProfs is the largest marketing community in the world, and we are here to help you be a better marketer.
Sign in with your preferred account, below.
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Customer Behavior:
- Five Lessons Marketers Can Learn From Online Reviews
- People's Customer Service Preferences in Times of Crisis [Infographic]
- What B2B Tech Marketers Want From Martech Solutions
- How to Push Customers Down the Brand Loyalty Funnel
- Why People Really Do What They Do: 'Primal Brain' Author Tim Ash on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- Do Customers Trust You? Six Tips for Earning Brand Trust in 2021