That increased price sensitivity may stem from shoppers' concerns about how much their dollars will buy, with 42% of survey respondents saying they feel their purchasing power has decreased in the past year.
Below are the additional findings from Parago's third annual Shopper Behavior Study.
Deal Seeking Increases
- Before shopping, 80% of consumers surveyed said they look for deals, rebates, and the best prices, compared with 69% in 2012.
- 46% of consumers surveyed shopped where they could use their smartphones to check prices; only 11% did so in 2012.
- Price was the most important purchase driver for every income level below $200,000 and three times more influential on purchase decision than any other criteria overall.
Will Travel For Savings
Some 81% of shoppers said they would drive 5 to 10 minutes out their way (round trip) for a $10 rebate on a $50 product; 93% said they would drive that distance for a $20 discount.
Facebook Preferred Place for Rebate Deals
When asked "Where do you want to receive exclusive rebate deals?", the majority (53%) of shoppers said Facebook would be their preferred digital channel.
About the research: The Shopper Behavior Study was based on data conducted via a national online survey during March 2013 with 1,078 respondents representative of the US (in terms of education, income and gender). They responded to a 50-question survey exploring their deal seeking behavior.
Continue reading "Consumer Price Sensitivity and Deal Seeking Up in 2013" ... Read the full article
Subscribe today...it's free!
MarketingProfs provides thousands of marketing resources, entirely free!
Simply subscribe to our newsletter and get instant access to how-to articles, guides, webinars and more for nada, nothing, zip, zilch, on the house...delivered right to your inbox! MarketingProfs is the largest marketing community in the world, and we are here to help you be a better marketer.
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Customer Behavior:
- Smoking Brisket and the Customer Experience: Art and Science With Christian Selchau-Hansen on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- B2B Conversational Marketing: What Customers Want
- How the B2B Purchase Process Has Changed in 2020
- Marketing From A to [Gen]Z: 'Zconomy' Author Jason Dorsey on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- Listen While You Work: The Media Habits of Remote Employees