Please accept all cookies to ensure proper website functionality. Set my cookie preferences

Most B2B vendors (57%) say B2B commerce is fundamentally changing and shifting from offline to online, according to a recent report from Intershop.

A similar number of those surveyed (51%) said they are changing their organizational structures and business models to adapt to this shift.

Moreover, 44% of respondents said business-to-business vendors are now adopting business-to-consumer best-practices to change and optimize the B2B purchasing experience.

Below, additional findings from the report, which was based on data from a survey of 400 European and American senior IT and business decision-makers working for B2B merchants.

What's Driving the Changes

  • 81% of survey respondents said changing consumer expectations are driving the changes in B2B commerce.
  • 74% said new technology has made it possible to offer experiences that weren't possible before.

Biggest Challenges

  • Almost all of the organizations surveyed (96%) said they are facing challenges in adapting to new B2B commerce trends.
  • 50% find it difficult to provide intuitive and user-friendly interfaces for multiple touchpoints, such as B2B online stores and mobile apps.
  • 48% said it is difficult to manage complex organizational structures.
  • 47% face the challenge of convincing their offline customers to use e-commerce and self-service channels.

Mobile Commerce

  • Just over half (51%) of all B2B companies surveyed are currently using mobile touchpoints (including mobile stores and apps).
  • Almost half of the remaining organizations plan to develop a mobile presence in the near future.

Online Commerce

  • 92% of the 400 companies surveyed already market their products online. The remaining 8% plan to follow suit.
  • Of the organizations that are already selling online, 95% said they plan to boost the online share of their revenue in the future.

About the research: The report was based on a survey of 400 senior IT and business decision makers from merchants with a B2B focus and annual online revenues ranging from $1 million to more than $100 million. The survey was conducted in April and May 2013. Most respondents (280) were from Europe; 120 were from the US.

Sign up for free to read the full article. Continue reading "How B2B Commerce Is Changing" ... Read the full article

Subscribe's free!

MarketingProfs provides thousands of marketing resources, entirely free!

Simply subscribe to our newsletter and get instant access to how-to articles, guides, webinars and more for nada, nothing, zip, zilch, on the house...delivered right to your inbox! MarketingProfs is the largest marketing community in the world, and we are here to help you be a better marketer.

Already a member? Sign in now.

Sign in with your preferred account, below.


image of Ayaz Nanji

Ayaz Nanji is a digital strategist and a co-founder of ICW Media, a marketing agency specializing in content and social media services for tech firms. He is also a research writer for MarketingProfs. He has worked for Google/YouTube, the Travel Channel, AOL, and the New York Times.

LinkedIn: Ayaz Nanji

Twitter: @ayaznanji

Sales Articles

You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Sales: