Just over one-third of marketers (34%) did not have a documented marketing plan last year, according to a recent report from Marketo.
However, that percentage varies significantly by company size, with the smallest companies (fewer than 50 employees) least likely to have a documented marketing plan (only 56% reported having one for 2013) and the largest (1,001-5,000 employees) most likely to have one (81% reported having one).
Having a documented marketing plan seemed to be linked to overall satisfaction with a company's marketing team, Marketo found in its analysis: Over three-quarters (77%) of respondents who were extremely satisfied with their marketing team had documented marketing plans.
Below, additional key findings from the report, which was based on data from a survey of 493 B2B and consumer marketing professionals.
- 16% of respondents say they always meet their marketing goals, and 55% say they usually do.
- However, 22.5% say they don't have measurable marketing goals.
- 42% of respondents run five or fewer marketing programs per month.
- Small companies (50 or fewer employees) are the most likely to run fewer than five marketing programs per month.
- Most marketers surveyed (67%) say they email their database fewer than 10 times each month, and 45% say they send emails fewer than five times each month.
- However, marketers using marketing automation software are more likely to email more frequently, with only 27% sending less than five emails per month. Moreover, just 15% of marketers who have been using marketing automation software for over a year send fewer than five emails per month.
- Marketers with documented marketing plans also send emails more frequently.
About the research: The report was based on data from a survey of 493 B2B and consumer marketing professionals.
Enter your email address to keep reading ...
Know someone who would enjoy it too? Share with your friends, free of charge, no sign up required! Simply share this link, and they will get instant access…
Marketing Strategy Articles
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Marketing Strategy:
- A Beginner's Guide to Using GIFs in Marketing
- ChatGPT: Marketing Dream or Marketing Disaster? Chris Carr on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- Six Ways to Unlock Web3 for B2B Marketers
- Why Marketing Needs to Cultivate Conversation and Community: Revisiting 'The Cluetrain Manifesto'
- Communities Are the Future of Marketing | Marketing Smarts Live Show
- World-Class Case Studies; They Ask, You Answer; and Building Trust on the Internet: Marcus Sheridan on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]