Beyond price, other frequently cited reasons for failing to close sales include failure of the sales team to perform (35% of survey respondents), lack of a compelling product or service (31%), difficult business terms or conditions (21%), and failure of the marketing team to perform (18%).
Below, additional key findings from the report, which was based on data from a survey of 182 marketers, sales professionals, and presidents/CEOs. (Some 67% of respondents work for B2B-focused companies; 25% for B2B-B2C hybrid companies; and 8% B2C-only companies).
The Blame Game
- Aside from price, there is little agreement between sales and marketing professionals about why deals fail to close with qualified prospects.
- Sales professionals cite the lack of marketing assets and support as the top reason they fail to close deals.
- Marketers' view of the top cause of failure—lack of empowerment to negotiate—is more sympathetic to their Sales colleagues. However, the second-ranked cause is not: lack of sales skill or ability.
Sales Closure Rate
Sales professionals say they "strike out" around 70-80% of the time they engage with a qualified prospect (the median sales closure rate of respondents is between 21% and 30%).
Effectiveness of Marketing Assets
Some 76% of marketers surveyed say the marketing assets they create are effective in helping Sales. However, just 46% of sales professionals say marketing assets are effective.
About the research: The report was based on data from a survey conducted between June 19 and July 9, 2014 of 182 marketers, sales professionals, and presidents/CEOs. (Some 67% of respondents work for B2B-focused companies; 25% for B2B-B2C hybrid companies; and 8% B2C-only companies).
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Sales:
- The Top Challenges B2B Sales Reps Face Early in the Sales Cycle
- Five Ways Marketing Can Support the Sales Process to Maximize Growth
- It's 2022: Do You Know Where Your Sales Reps Are?
- [Video] How to Use Neuroscience to Increase Your Demand Gen Success Threefold
- How Well Do B2B Firms Handle Routing Sales Leads?
- How to Conquer Remote Selling Challenges and Reach the Top of the Leaderboard