More than one-third of consumers (37%) say they most often abandon an online shopping cart because they decide at the last minute that the purchase is too expensive, according to a recent report from Offers.com.
The second most common reason for not completing an online purchase is finding a better price on another website (cited by 24% of respondents).
Some 12% of consumers surveyed say they most often abandon an online shopping cart because they cannot find a coupon code; 7% say they often abandon carts because they are confused by the checkout process.
Just 20% say they almost always purchase the items they put in their online shopping carts.
Below, additional key findings from the report, which was based on data from a survey of United States adults who shop online.
What Convinces Consumers to Buy
- 53% of respondents say they are influenced by positive product reviews when undecided about an online purchase.
- 51% are influenced by a good deal or sale.
- 31% are influenced to purchase by the quality of the website they are shopping on.
Why Consumers Shop Online
- 41% of consumers surveyed say they primarily shop online because it is more convenient.
- 21% say that it’s easier to find a low price.
- 14% because there is larger selection online than in stores.
About the research: The report was based on data from a survey conducted in September 2014 of United States adults who shop online.
Know someone who would enjoy it too? Share with your friends, free of charge, no sign up required! Simply share this link, and they will get instant access…
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Customer Behavior:
- Discovering the Brain Science That Drives B2B Buyer Behavior: Nancy Harhut on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- World-Class Case Studies; Building Trust on the Internet | Marketing Smarts Live Show
- How Attitudes Toward AI Vary Among Countries and Demographics
- Closing the Loop: How to Deliver Personalized CX at Scale, Even Across Channels
- B2B Marketers, the Customer Journey, and Sales | Marketing Smarts Live Show
- How B2B Marketers Can Leverage Voice of Customer for Business Growth | Marketing Smarts Live Show