What proportion of Americans listens to podcasts? Which devices do listeners use, and where do they listen/watch? What is the demographic profile of the podcast audience?
To find out, Edison Research and Triton Digital conducted a telephone survey in January and February 2016 of 2,001 people in the United States age 12 and older (52% interviewed via landline, 48% via mobile phone). The data was weighted to reflect national age-12+ population figures.
Below, key findings from the report.
- 55% of Americans age 12+ are aware of the term "podcasting."
- 36% have listened to or watched a podcast at least once.
- 21% have listened to a podcast in the previous month; 13% have listened in the previous week.
- 56% of podcast fans are men, and 44% are women.
- The podcast audience has a higher median income ($63,000) than the general US adult population ($53,000).
- Podcast consumers are more likely to have a four-year college degree and/or graduate degree than the general US adult population.
- Younger consumers are more likely to listen to podcasts than are Americans age 55+.
- Weekly podcast consumers listen to 5 podcasts per week, on average, for an average of 4 hours and 10 minutes per week.
- 71% of consumers use their smartphone to listen to podcasts; 29% use their computer.
- 53% of podcast consumers listen to podcasts most often at home.
About the research: The report was based on data from survey conducted in January and February 2016 of 2,001 people in the United States age 12 and older.
Know someone who would enjoy it too? Share with your friends, free of charge, no sign up required! Simply share this link, and they will get instant access…
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Content:
- ChatGPT: Marketing Dream or Marketing Disaster | Marketing Smarts Live Show
- B2B Content Promotion in 2023: Channel and Format Trends
- The AI Conundrum: Should B2B Communicators Embrace ChatGPT?
- Build B2B Marketing Trust With Evidence-Based Content | Marketing Smarts Live Show
- Stop the Churn: Why Less Is More in B2B Content Marketing
- The Importance of Being Human in Your B2B Content | Marketing Smarts Live Show