What proportion of Americans listens to podcasts? Which devices do listeners use, and where do they listen/watch? What is the demographic profile of the podcast audience?
To find out, Edison Research and Triton Digital conducted a telephone survey in January and February 2016 of 2,001 people in the United States age 12 and older (52% interviewed via landline, 48% via mobile phone). The data was weighted to reflect national age-12+ population figures.
Below, key findings from the report.
- 55% of Americans age 12+ are aware of the term "podcasting."
- 36% have listened to or watched a podcast at least once.
- 21% have listened to a podcast in the previous month; 13% have listened in the previous week.
- 56% of podcast fans are men, and 44% are women.
- The podcast audience has a higher median income ($63,000) than the general US adult population ($53,000).
- Podcast consumers are more likely to have a four-year college degree and/or graduate degree than the general US adult population.
- Younger consumers are more likely to listen to podcasts than are Americans age 55+.
- Weekly podcast consumers listen to 5 podcasts per week, on average, for an average of 4 hours and 10 minutes per week.
- 71% of consumers use their smartphone to listen to podcasts; 29% use their computer.
- 53% of podcast consumers listen to podcasts most often at home.
About the research: The report was based on data from survey conducted in January and February 2016 of 2,001 people in the United States age 12 and older.
Continue reading "The Podcast Audience in 2016: Demographic and Listening Trends" ... Read the full article
Subscribe today...it's free!
MarketingProfs provides thousands of marketing resources, entirely free!
Simply subscribe to our newsletter and get instant access to how-to articles, guides, webinars and more for nada, nothing, zip, zilch, on the house...delivered right to your inbox! MarketingProfs is the largest marketing community in the world, and we are here to help you be a better marketer.
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Content:
- The Biggest Frustrations of Content Managers [Infographic]
- It's About Time: Six Tried-and-True Ways to Extract Content From Your SMEs
- How to Build a Content Marketing Funnel That Will Drive Sales
- The Top Barriers to Creating Great B2B Content
- The Top 20 Content Marketing Hashtags, Topics, and Searches