What makes a team effective? Which qualities set successful groups apart from other groups?
To find out, Google conduted more than 200 interviews with its employees and looked at more than 250 attributes of 180 active Google teams.
The primary finding of the analysis was that how team members interact, structure their work, and view their contributions matters more than the traits of individual employees.
Specifically, the researchers found five key group dynamics set successful teams apart from other teams at Google.
The most important of those attributes is "psychological safety" (can we take risks on this team without feeling insecure or embarrassed?).
The remaining attributes of successful teams are as follows:
- Dependability (can we count on each other to do high quality work on time?)
- Structure and clarity (are goals, roles, and execution plans on our team clear?)
- Meaning of work (are we working on something that is personally important for each of us?)
- Impact of work (do we fundamentally believe that the work we're doing matters?).
About the research: The report was based a survey of more than 200 interviews with Google employees and an analysis of more than 250 attributes of 180 active Google teams.
Continue reading "Learn From Google: The Five Traits of Successful Teams at Google" ... Read the full article
MarketingProfs provides thousands of marketing resources, entirely free!
Simply subscribe to our newsletter and get instant access to how-to articles, guides, webinars and more for nada, nothing, zip, zilch, on the house...delivered right to your inbox! MarketingProfs is the largest marketing community in the world, and we are here to help you be a better marketer.
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Career Management:
- Four Hiring Trends Marketing Managers Need to Know [Infographic]
- 2022 Salary Guide: Pay Forecasts for Marketing, Content, and PR Positions
- Working From Bed: The State of Home Workspaces in 2021
- The 5 Most Important Skills for the Future of Marketing
- How Emotional Intelligence Impacts Career Success [Infographic]