From Father's Day to Black Friday, the year is full of holidays and traditions that we indulge in—not because of religious reasons that date back hundreds of years, but because of marketers who convinced us to celebrate them.
Perhaps one of the most well known is diamond engagement rings, a "tradition" started by De Beers, which popularized not only the product but also the guidelines on how much should be spent.
For example, Marshall Fields department store in Chicago started wedding registries, and Singles' Day in China was started by students but exploited by marketers, the graphic explains.
Take the first step (it's free).
You may also like:
- What Do CMOs Predict for 2019? [Infographic]
- 2018 Year-end Episode of Marketing Smarts: What Marketers Need to Know for 2019 [VIDEO]
- Building a Brand and Giving Back: Country Star Jimmy Charles on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- How to Heat Up Marketing Impact With Data-Driven Personas
- What Online Shoppers Want--and How You Can Provide It [Infographic]