What do you get when you do your job well? Not your organization... but you? A raise? A promotion? The employee of the month parking spot? The satisfaction of knowing you did your best and moved the brand forward? All good stuff.
Recently I had an interesting email volley with Tim Jackson, the Masiguy and a Daily Fix contributor, that put a slightly different spin on social media marketing for me. Executing an advertising, research, public relations, sales or any other traditional marketing strategy brings success or not. I never thought about social media marketing in terms of the marketer getting something back other than the "marketing" of the brand.
Sure as you do business vendors, customers and people you meet along the way can turn into friends, too. However, the "social" in social media rings true. No other strategy gives me back more than what I put it.
Online social media networking is a little different than offline networking or other online networking opportunities (bulletin boards, listserves). Here are a few suggestions to help you put the social in social media (marketing) networking.
16 Social Media (Marketing) Networking Ideas
1. Find who is linking and mentioning you: review your stats, create an RSS feed and Google Alerts that include your blog url, blog title and your name.
2. Add comments and trackbacks that extend the conversation.
3. Remember what your Mama taught you... thank people who have picked up on your conversation.
4. Email a blogger.
5. Phone a blogger.
6. Skype a blogger.
7. Send an eCard. Heard it from Wayne Hurlbert.
8. Send a card through the mail. Heard it from Kristie T, Kristie T's Home Business Blog.
9. Extend a discussion on your blog and link to the blogger/s who contributed.
10. Develop a habit of courtesy linking - acknowledging where ideas are from (see #7, #8, #11).
11. Bring back the Blog Roll. Heard it from Jeneane Sussem, Allied.
12. Link generously.
13. Interview a blogger.
14. Help out a friend with a little link love buzz.
15. Reach out to the new kid on the blogogsphere block.
16. Send a little surprise gift to a blogger. Heard it from Jane Geneva.
Note: #16 is not Pay For Post. These are little presents that speak of kindness and expressions of friendship. Jane sent me some lovely tea last winter. Tim gave me cool Masi espresso cups and from Ann Handley, for contributing to Daily Fix, a great MarketingProfs mug.
I've unwrapped wonderful surprises from my involvement in social media from quotes in prestigous business publications like the Wall Street Journal, profiled in a best seller book (Naked Conversations), extension of my business, to speaking engagements, new clients and wonderful friendships.
What gifts has social media brought you? What other networking ideas do you have?
Continue reading "16 Social Media Networking Ideas for Marketers" ... Read the full article
MarketingProfs provides thousands of marketing resources, entirely free!
Simply subscribe to our newsletter and get instant access to how-to articles, guides, webinars and more for nada, nothing, zip, zilch, on the house...delivered right to your inbox! MarketingProfs is the largest marketing community in the world, and we are here to help you be a better marketer.
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Content:
- Three Ways to Adapt Your Sales Content for Virtual Selling Success
- What B2B Executives Want From Thought Leadership Content
- Six Tips for Generating More Leads With Your Marketing Content
- The Impact of Digital Currencies on Future Marketing Efforts: Jeremiah Owyang on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- A Snapshot of the Content Creator and Influencer Economy [Infographic]