The Super Bowl seemed like the national debut of the notion that agencies don't have all the smarts and you might just get a good idea by running a contest and letting Mr. or Mrs. Consumer craft your Doritos message. Well, here comes the next wave.
An e-marketing agency has announced that on behalf of their client Phytolabs Solutions - they are holding a contest to invite consumers to create a brand name and tagline for a new over the counter immune-booster.
According to the official press release, the marketing company is confident in this "crowdsourcing" method will generate the right brand for their product. The contestants are given some superficial information about the product. Potential customers are identified as busy moms and dads, traveling teens, seniors who want to get the most out of life–and pretty much everyone in between.
Two other things of note before I pose a question or two:
- There's a payday attached to this. The winning name earns $15K and the winning tagline $7.5K.
- No pros allowed. So don't start sharpening your pencil.
So, what do you think? Can Average Joe create an effective brand? If the company did a side-by-side comparison and let the pros compete against the consumers .... what would be the differences? Similarities?
Which of course leads me to .... does a product's name/tagline matter or are they just empty vessels that are given meaning by what the company does with them?
Oh, boy. The dreaded sign up form.
Before you run for the hills, we wanted to let you know that MarketingProfs has thousands of marketing resources, including this one (yes, the one behind this sign up form), entirely free!
Simply subscribe to our newsletter and get instant access to how-to articles, guides, webinars and more for nada, nothing, zip, zilch, on the house...delivered right to your inbox! MarketingProfs is the largest marketing community in the world, and we are here to help you be a better marketer.
You may also like:
- A Podcast Within a Podcast Within a Podcast: Inception Marketing With Lindsay Tjepkema on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- B2B Content Marketing Report: Benchmarks, Budgets, Trends, and COVID-19 Response
- Effective Content Types for Each Stage of the Buyer's Journey [Infographic]
- Beyond Content Marketing: 10 Steps to Real ROI With Content Operations
- Optimize Content Strategy With Insights From a New Study: NetLine's David Fortino on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]