10: the age of Google, which celebrated its birthday yesterday.
Google is a decade old. This may be longer than you remember; for many people, the company's watershed event was its IPO a little over four years ago at the seemingly expensive price of $85/share, in a dutch auction process.
The company now unquestionably dominates its original business of search, with a 60% share of the market according to Nielsen Online. That's more than its next three competitors combined, i.e. Yahoo + MSN + AOL. Although Google hasn't found the same success in other lines of business, some surveys crown the brand as the most powerful in the world.
In today's world with pressure on short-term results, ten years seems like an eternity. But remarkably, the public face of Google - its home page - has changed very little over time. However, if you've ever been responsible for SEM/SEO, you know that Google's algorithm has changed quite a bit. My takeaway as a marketer: consistency + adaptability. Seems to border on paradox, but the two work well together.
What lessons do you take away from Google's ten years? Is this just an anomaly or can non-digital businesses follow suit?
Continue reading "10" ... Read the full article
MarketingProfs provides thousands of marketing resources, entirely free!
Simply subscribe to our newsletter and get instant access to how-to articles, guides, webinars and more for nada, nothing, zip, zilch, on the house...delivered right to your inbox! MarketingProfs is the largest marketing community in the world, and we are here to help you be a better marketer.
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Content:
- How to Build Trust With Data Visualization: Caroline Jerome on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- How Employee Advocacy Can Improve Your Content Marketing Performance
- Storytelling in B2B: Bobby Lehew on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- No Time to Create Content? Turn One Webinar Into Nine Marketing Pieces in Less Than 14 Days... Without Killing Yourself
- A 17-Step Process for Creating High-Performing Articles [Infographic]