"Enter for a chance to win..."
I see that call to action—or something similar—all over.
You do, too. Social media is certainly no exception. Contests, competitions, and sweepstakes are raging hot across the major networks as a go-to strategy for so many content marketers.
The answer is that we humans are wired to get involved in contests. We want to play, compete, and, of course, win.
As a copywriter and marketing strategist, I've been probing what makes people tick for decades. I know a fair share about what engages people, but I'm no psychologist.
So I did some research because I wanted to know why "contest marketing" is so compelling.
I picked up these insights from Sander van der Linder PhD on Psychology Today:
- For most people, there is something inexplicably compelling about the nature of competition.
- "Competitiveness" is a biological trait that co-evolved with the basic need for survival.
Take the first step (it's free).
You may also like:
- How to Win Friends Who Influence People: SAP Ariba's Amisha Gandhi on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- How to Create a Video Marketing Strategy
- B2B Marketing People Line Up to See: Cybereason CMO Cindy Klein Roche on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- 2019 B2B Content Marketing Benchmarks, Budgets, and Trends: A First Look at New Research
- Hearing Voices: How to Create Impact With the Right Voiceover [Infographic]