In addition, the proportion of small businesses that have increased their social media budgets in 2012 is 4 times higher than the proportion of those that have decreased social budgets, the study found.
Below, additional findings from VerticalResponse.
Among the small businesses surveyed, a plurality (43%) dedicate six or more hours per week to social media marketing, 25% spend 6-10 hours per week, and 7% spend 20+ hours a week on social marketing.
Among CEOs and business owners surveyed (43% of respondents met that criteria), more than one-third (36%) spend 6+ hours on social media marketing, but nearly the same proportion (33%) would rather spend less time doing so.
One reason may be a lack of clear value: Only 36% pay for some type of analytical or scheduling tool for social marketing. Among those 36%, most (57.5%) spend $26+ per month on their tool.
Among the small businesses surveyed:
- 90% use Facebook, and 15% do so several times a day.
- 70% use Twitter, and 21% do so several times a day.
- 50% use LinkedIn, and 4% check in several times a day.
Roughly 3 in 10 small businesses use Google+ (31%) and Pinterest (28%).
Small businesses understand the value of content, but time is an issue: 55% publish a blog, and among them 42% publish content 2-4 times each month. However, finding content to share is the most time-consuming social media task:
About the data: Findings are based on an online survey of 462 small businesses (93% had fewer than 100 employees), Sept 17 to Oct 5, 2012. Some 43% were owners or sole proprietors of their business.
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Social Media:
- Marketers' Top Worries About Twitter
- Five Qualities of an Exceptional Social Media Manager [Infographic]
- How to Use Instagram Landing Pages for Increased Engagement
- The Types of Social Media Content Employees Are Most Likely to Share
- How to Find a Perfect Audience on Social Media [Infographic]
- Creating B2B Social Media Content That Fuels Human Connections: Brooke Sellas on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]