Nearly four in 10 chief marketing officers (CMOs) say they do not have the right people, tools, and resources to meet their marketing objectives, according to a recent report from Accenture. That's a drop of 5 percentage points in preparedness from levels reported in Accentures' 2011 study.
CMOs also said they found it more difficult in 2012 to improve the efficiency of marketing operations (up 8 percentage points compared with 2011) and to improve their workforce's responsiveness to digital shifts (up 10 percentage points compared with 2011).
The report, Turbulence for the CMO: Charting a Path to the Seamless Customer Experience, was based on a survey of 405 senior marketers from 10 countries.
Additional key findings;
- Profitable growth (87%) and operational efficiency (85%) remain the top business priorities for CMOs.
- CMOs are being asked to support these objectives more than they are being asked to cut marketing budgets (58%).
- Consumers' expectations for relevant experiences are having the longest-term impact on marketing strategy (65%).
- Digital orientation, defined as working across the organization to infuse a digital focus in all business processes and functions, had the largest the spread between performance and importance among the five marketing capabilities assessed.
For more, check out the following infographic:
About the research: The report was based on online surveys across 10 countries with 405 senior executives who are key marketing decision makers in their companies. Most marketers surveyed work for companies that have at least $1 billion in annual revenues.
Know someone who would enjoy it too? Share with your friends, free of charge, no sign up required! Simply share this link, and they will get instant access…
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Marketing Strategy:
- Stop Trying to Measure Everything, Use an Outcome-Focused Lens Instead
- Strategic Alliances: Benefits and Risks
- Empathy in Marketing: A B2B Gamechanger
- How to Build a High-Conversion Evergreen Lead Funnel: A Five-Step Guide
- Your Evolving Value Proposition: How to Recognize It and Get Ahead of Agency Competitors
- The State of Digital Marketing for the Manufacturing Industry [Infographic]