Similarly, 92% of consumers surveyed said they would buy a product with a social or environmental benefit if given the opportunity, and more than two-thirds (67%) said they have done so in the previous 12 months.
Moreover, 90% of people surveyed said they would boycott a brand for irresponsible behavior.
Below, additional key findings from the Global Corporate Social Responsibility Study, which was based on a survey of more than 10,000 people in the US, UK, Canada, Brazil, Germany, France, Russia, China, India, and Japan.
Consumers' Expectations of Businesses
- Just 6% of consumers surveyed say the singular purpose of business is to make money for shareholders.
- 91% say companies must go beyond the minimum standards required by law to operate responsibly.
- 22% say companies have made a significant positive impact on social and environmental issues.
- 27% say consumers themselves can have a significant positive impact through their purchases.
- 34% of consumers surveyed use social media to share positive information about companies and issues.
- 29% are using social media to learn more about specific organizations and issues.
- 26% are using social media to share negative information.
Top Issues for Consumers
- Economic development (38%) is the most pressing issue that survey respondents want companies to address.
- The environment (19%), human rights (11%), and poverty/hunger (11%) are the next most important issues.
About the research: The Global Corporate Social Responsibility Study was based on an online survey conducted in February 2013 of 10,287 people in the US, UK, Canada, Brazil, Germany, France, Russia, China, India, and Japan.
Know someone who would enjoy it too? Share with your friends, free of charge, no sign up required! Simply share this link, and they will get instant access…
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Customer Behavior:
- Discovering the Brain Science That Drives B2B Buyer Behavior: Nancy Harhut on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- World-Class Case Studies; Building Trust on the Internet | Marketing Smarts Live Show
- How Attitudes Toward AI Vary Among Countries and Demographics
- Closing the Loop: How to Deliver Personalized CX at Scale, Even Across Channels
- B2B Marketers, the Customer Journey, and Sales | Marketing Smarts Live Show
- How B2B Marketers Can Leverage Voice of Customer for Business Growth | Marketing Smarts Live Show