Similarly, 92% of consumers surveyed said they would buy a product with a social or environmental benefit if given the opportunity, and more than two-thirds (67%) said they have done so in the previous 12 months.
Moreover, 90% of people surveyed said they would boycott a brand for irresponsible behavior.
Below, additional key findings from the Global Corporate Social Responsibility Study, which was based on a survey of more than 10,000 people in the US, UK, Canada, Brazil, Germany, France, Russia, China, India, and Japan.
Consumers' Expectations of Businesses
- Just 6% of consumers surveyed say the singular purpose of business is to make money for shareholders.
- 91% say companies must go beyond the minimum standards required by law to operate responsibly.
- 22% say companies have made a significant positive impact on social and environmental issues.
- 27% say consumers themselves can have a significant positive impact through their purchases.
- 34% of consumers surveyed use social media to share positive information about companies and issues.
- 29% are using social media to learn more about specific organizations and issues.
- 26% are using social media to share negative information.
Top Issues for Consumers
- Economic development (38%) is the most pressing issue that survey respondents want companies to address.
- The environment (19%), human rights (11%), and poverty/hunger (11%) are the next most important issues.
About the research: The Global Corporate Social Responsibility Study was based on an online survey conducted in February 2013 of 10,287 people in the US, UK, Canada, Brazil, Germany, France, Russia, China, India, and Japan.
Continue reading "Consumers Prefer Brands Associated With Good Causes" ... Read the full article
MarketingProfs provides thousands of marketing resources, entirely free!
Simply subscribe to our newsletter and get instant access to how-to articles, guides, webinars and more for nada, nothing, zip, zilch, on the house...delivered right to your inbox! MarketingProfs is the largest marketing community in the world, and we are here to help you be a better marketer.
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Customer Behavior:
- People's Customer Service Preferences in Times of Crisis [Infographic]
- What B2B Tech Marketers Want From Martech Solutions
- How to Push Customers Down the Brand Loyalty Funnel
- Why People Really Do What They Do: 'Primal Brain' Author Tim Ash on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- Do Customers Trust You? Six Tips for Earning Brand Trust in 2021