Most marketers say they struggle to personalize content in real-time, even though 77% say real-time marketing is highly important to their organization, according to a recent report by Neolane and The Direct Marketing Association.
Overall, marketers surveyed rate personalizing messages based on consumer behavior as their top challenge (60%), followed by marketing effectiveness/response rates (57%), improving customer retention (43%), harnessing Big Data (41%), and driving revenue via cross-sell/up-sell (38%).
Below, additional key findings from the Real-Time Marketing Insights Study, which was based on a survey 235 North American marketers.
What Is Real-Time Marketing?
- 43% of survey respondents define real-time marketing as providing "dynamic personalized content across channels."
- 13% define it as "dynamic personalized content in outbound channels."
- 12% define it as "developing quick response to mainstream event."
Highest Rated Real-Time Marketing Channels
- Email is the highest rated real-time marketing channel: 80% of respondents find it very important.
- The next highest rated real-time channel is the Web (69% of marketers find it highly important), followed by mobile devices (53%), point of sale (49%), call centers (49%), and social channels (45%).
- 75% of marketers rate dynamic, personalized content across channels as highly important, and 95% find it moderately to highly important.
Plans for Real-Time Personalization
- 29% of marketers currently practice cross-channel real-time marketing, and an additional 49% are planning to do so in the future.
- More than half (55%) of marketers already practice real-time email marketing, and 32% have plans to do so in the future.
Survey respondents' top concerns about real-time marketing include the complexity of systems (50%), access to real-time data (46%), data privacy (45%), and training (39%).
About the research: The report was based on a survey 235 North American marketers. The majority (53%) work for companies with revenues under $99 million.
Oh, boy. The dreaded sign up form.
Before you run for the hills, we wanted to let you know that MarketingProfs has thousands of marketing resources, including this one (yes, the one behind this sign up form), entirely free!
Simply subscribe to our newsletter and get instant access to how-to articles, guides, webinars and more for nada, nothing, zip, zilch, on the house...delivered right to your inbox! MarketingProfs is the largest marketing community in the world, and we are here to help you be a better marketer.
You may also like:
- How Direct Mail Can Cut Through the Pandemic Marketing Clutter (And How to Obtain Those Valuable Home Addresses)
- Marry Brand and Demand to Unleash the Full Power of Personalization in ABM
- The Information Sources B2B Tech Buyers Most Rely On
- Seven Things Ruining Your B2B Marketing Budget—And How to Fix Them
- COVID-19's Impact on B2B Martech Budgets