Most marketers say they struggle to personalize content in real-time, even though 77% say real-time marketing is highly important to their organization, according to a recent report by Neolane and The Direct Marketing Association.
Overall, marketers surveyed rate personalizing messages based on consumer behavior as their top challenge (60%), followed by marketing effectiveness/response rates (57%), improving customer retention (43%), harnessing Big Data (41%), and driving revenue via cross-sell/up-sell (38%).
Below, additional key findings from the Real-Time Marketing Insights Study, which was based on a survey 235 North American marketers.
What Is Real-Time Marketing?
- 43% of survey respondents define real-time marketing as providing "dynamic personalized content across channels."
- 13% define it as "dynamic personalized content in outbound channels."
- 12% define it as "developing quick response to mainstream event."
Highest Rated Real-Time Marketing Channels
- Email is the highest rated real-time marketing channel: 80% of respondents find it very important.
- The next highest rated real-time channel is the Web (69% of marketers find it highly important), followed by mobile devices (53%), point of sale (49%), call centers (49%), and social channels (45%).
- 75% of marketers rate dynamic, personalized content across channels as highly important, and 95% find it moderately to highly important.
Plans for Real-Time Personalization
- 29% of marketers currently practice cross-channel real-time marketing, and an additional 49% are planning to do so in the future.
- More than half (55%) of marketers already practice real-time email marketing, and 32% have plans to do so in the future.
Survey respondents' top concerns about real-time marketing include the complexity of systems (50%), access to real-time data (46%), data privacy (45%), and training (39%).
About the research: The report was based on a survey 235 North American marketers. The majority (53%) work for companies with revenues under $99 million.
Know someone who would enjoy it too? Share with your friends, free of charge, no sign up required! Simply share this link, and they will get instant access…
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Marketing Strategy:
- Maximizing Your B2B Marketing Budget: Recession Strategies and Tips | Marketing Smarts Live Show
- Navigating the Power of B2B Communication by Getting to the Point: Steve Woodruff on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- Link Prospects' Personal and Business Data to Engage and Convert: The Awesome Power of B2B2C Linkage Data
- For AI-Driven B2B Customer Experiences, You'll Need These Four Strategic Investments
- The Key to Thriving Digital Communities: Love Thy Neighbor
- How to Nurture Your Marketing Message [Infographic]