The majority (60%) of marketers and content creators say one of their biggest digital copywriting challenges is that "people just don't get what good copy is," according to a recent report by Sticky Content, an agency based in the United Kingdom.
Among other challenges to creating good digital copy are the following: too much to do/not enough people (55%), finding skilled writers (51%), meeting SEO requirements (44%), input from stakeholders (40%), lack of writing guidelines (37%), insufficient time to check copy (34%), and no copywriting training (31%).
Below, additional key findings from the report, The State of Digital Copywriting, which was based on a survey of 365 marketers, copywriters, content editors, content strategists, and consultants, the majority of whom are based in the UK.
- 74% of respondents check and proof copy before it goes live.
- 58% use language and style guidelines.
- Only 32% have a standard content structure format for their writing.
- Just 19% train all their content creators in Web writing.
- 52% of respondents write copy on demand, in response to business needs.
- Just 18% roll out copy according to a content plan, and only 9.8% always use a creative brief.
- 43% have, on average, 1-2 stakeholders who need to sign off on a key piece of Web copy, and 42% have 3-5 stakeholders.
- 42% of time is spent creating content, and the rest is spent planning, delivering, and governing it.
- 56% of respondents measure the effectiveness of copy by by unique visits or pageviews.
- 48% measure effectiveness by looking at conversions.
- 20% aren't measuring the effectiveness of their copy at all.
About the research: The report was based on a survey of 365 respondents, the majority of whom are based in the United Kingdom. The largest number of respondents are marketers (20.7%), followed copywriters (10.6%), content editors (9.8%), consultants (3.9%), and content strategists (3.6%).
Enter your email address to keep reading ...
Know someone who would enjoy it too? Share with your friends, free of charge, no sign up required! Simply share this link, and they will get instant access…
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Content:
- Turn Live Video Into a Content-Repurposing Machine | Marketing Smarts Live Show
- Generative AI Can't Create Great Marketing, But It Can Help
- Better Writing Will Not Fix Your Content. Here's What Will.
- How to Survive the Cookieless Future: Refocus on Your Owned Media Strategy
- The Importance of Being Human in Your B2B Content: Liz Murphy on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- Seven Tips for Training the Next Generation of Content Marketers