The study found that that 49% of all marketing email opens now happen on a mobile device, yet the click-to-open rate (how many consumers clicked after opening an email) is significantly lower for mobile.
Twice as many people click on an email after opening it on a desktop (23%) compared with a mobile device (11%).
Below, additional key findings from the report, which was based on an analysis of 5 billion marketing emails sent by Yesmail in the second quarter of 2013.
Mobile vs. Desktop
- 61% of consumers now read at least some of their emails on a mobile device, and 30% read email exclusively on mobile devices.
- Another third are device-agnostic and use their computer and their mobile device interchangeably.
- This split between mobile and desktop preference varies significantly by vertical. The B2B industry's desktop vs. mobile preference is split almost equally down the middle; hybrid viewership comprises only a minor percentage.
Mobile Click-to-Open by Industry
- Consumer services companies, such as Groupon and Yelp, enjoy the best interaction on mobile devices, with a mobile click-to-open rate of nearly 20%.
- Financial services emails have the lowest mobile click-to-open rate at 2%.
- iOS devices are consumers' top choice for reading emails on the go, with 82% of all mobile messages opened on Apple devices.
- Android comes in second with 17% of mobile email opens. Blackberry, Windows Phone, and other devices combined account for less than 1% of mobile email opens.
About the research: The report was based on an analysis of 5 billion marketing emails sent by Yesmail in the second quarter of 2013.
Oh, boy. The dreaded sign up form.
Before you run for the hills, we wanted to let you know that MarketingProfs has thousands of marketing resources, including this one (yes, the one behind this sign up form), entirely free!
Simply subscribe to our newsletter and get instant access to how-to articles, guides, webinars and more for nada, nothing, zip, zilch, on the house...delivered right to your inbox! MarketingProfs is the largest marketing community in the world, and we are here to help you be a better marketer.
You may also like:
- Four Ways to Empower Your Email Marketing Strategy With AI
- Seven Crucial Marketing Automation Workflows You Need for Building Campaigns
- 10 Email Marketing Do's and Don'ts for Campaign Success [Infographic]
- Five Steps for Leading Email Marketing Through Change and Crisis
- How COVID-19 Affected Email Benchmarks in 19 Industries in Spring 2020