The study found that that 49% of all marketing email opens now happen on a mobile device, yet the click-to-open rate (how many consumers clicked after opening an email) is significantly lower for mobile.
Twice as many people click on an email after opening it on a desktop (23%) compared with a mobile device (11%).
Below, additional key findings from the report, which was based on an analysis of 5 billion marketing emails sent by Yesmail in the second quarter of 2013.
Mobile vs. Desktop
- 61% of consumers now read at least some of their emails on a mobile device, and 30% read email exclusively on mobile devices.
- Another third are device-agnostic and use their computer and their mobile device interchangeably.
- This split between mobile and desktop preference varies significantly by vertical. The B2B industry's desktop vs. mobile preference is split almost equally down the middle; hybrid viewership comprises only a minor percentage.
Mobile Click-to-Open by Industry
- Consumer services companies, such as Groupon and Yelp, enjoy the best interaction on mobile devices, with a mobile click-to-open rate of nearly 20%.
- Financial services emails have the lowest mobile click-to-open rate at 2%.
- iOS devices are consumers' top choice for reading emails on the go, with 82% of all mobile messages opened on Apple devices.
- Android comes in second with 17% of mobile email opens. Blackberry, Windows Phone, and other devices combined account for less than 1% of mobile email opens.
About the research: The report was based on an analysis of 5 billion marketing emails sent by Yesmail in the second quarter of 2013.
Continue reading "Mobile Email Benchmarks and Trends by Industry" ... Read the full article
MarketingProfs provides thousands of marketing resources, entirely free!
Simply subscribe to our newsletter and get instant access to how-to articles, guides, webinars and more for nada, nothing, zip, zilch, on the house...delivered right to your inbox! MarketingProfs is the largest marketing community in the world, and we are here to help you be a better marketer.
Sign in with your preferred account, below.
You may like these other MarketingProfs resources related to Email Marketing.
Most Americans say they believe that email newsletters are a good way for brands to communicate with their customers, but also that those newsletters are sometimes manipulative, according to recent research from Storydoc.
Want to get more out of your marketing content? Email newsletters are a proven strategy to improve engagement and build trust with customers. Here are three sets of best-practices.
Most marketers say they plan to either maintain or increase their spend on email marketing in 2022, according to recent research from Litmus.
This infographic from Dooly covers five sales follow-up subject lines that are hard to ignore.
New technology is here that can both improve email domain security and increase email engagement. Learn about how using VMCs can enhance your email marketing.
Some 44% of email marketers say they now consider dark mode during the production of campaigns, according to a recent survey conducted by Mailjet and Ascend2.