The study found that that 49% of all marketing email opens now happen on a mobile device, yet the click-to-open rate (how many consumers clicked after opening an email) is significantly lower for mobile.
Twice as many people click on an email after opening it on a desktop (23%) compared with a mobile device (11%).
Below, additional key findings from the report, which was based on an analysis of 5 billion marketing emails sent by Yesmail in the second quarter of 2013.
Mobile vs. Desktop
- 61% of consumers now read at least some of their emails on a mobile device, and 30% read email exclusively on mobile devices.
- Another third are device-agnostic and use their computer and their mobile device interchangeably.
- This split between mobile and desktop preference varies significantly by vertical. The B2B industry's desktop vs. mobile preference is split almost equally down the middle; hybrid viewership comprises only a minor percentage.
Mobile Click-to-Open by Industry
- Consumer services companies, such as Groupon and Yelp, enjoy the best interaction on mobile devices, with a mobile click-to-open rate of nearly 20%.
- Financial services emails have the lowest mobile click-to-open rate at 2%.
- iOS devices are consumers' top choice for reading emails on the go, with 82% of all mobile messages opened on Apple devices.
- Android comes in second with 17% of mobile email opens. Blackberry, Windows Phone, and other devices combined account for less than 1% of mobile email opens.
About the research: The report was based on an analysis of 5 billion marketing emails sent by Yesmail in the second quarter of 2013.
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Email Marketing:
- 12 Email List Management Best-Practices [Infographic]
- Three Tips to Keep Top of Mind for Your Next Email Service Provider RFP
- Enterprise Email Marketing: Top Trends and Challenges
- Six Steps for Branding Your Emails Like a Pro [Infographic]
- The Anatomy of a Great Sales Outreach Email [Infographic]
- Seven Post-Purchase Email Conversations That Will Foster Customer Trust and Loyalty