That's an 18% increase over last year's first-half ad revenues of $17 billion.
Maintaining an upward trend, 2Q13 internet ad revenues also increased—18% year over year—reaching $10.3 billion, up from $8.7 billion in 2Q12.
Below, additional key findings from the report.
- Online advertising revenue continues to remain concentrated with the 10 leading ad-selling companies, which accounted for 70% of total revenues in 2Q13, down from 73% in 2Q12.
- Companies ranked 11th to 25th accounted for 12% of revenues in 2Q13, up from 9% in 2Q12.
- Companies ranked 26th to 50th accounted for 7% in 2Q13, down slightly from 8% in 2Q12.
Ad Format Trends
- Search accounted for 43% of 2Q13 revenues, down from 47% in 2Q12, as mobile devices shifted search-related revenues away from the desktop computer.
- Display-related advertising accounted for $3.1 billion, or 30% of total revenues.
- Display-related advertising includes display/banner ads (19% of revenues), rich media (3%), digital video (7%), and sponsorship (2%).
- Mobile revenues totaled 16% of 2Q13 revenues, up 149% from 2Q12.
- Retail advertisers remain the largest category of internet ad spending, accounting for 20% of total revenues in the first half of 2013, consistent with the 20% reported in 1H12.
- Financial Services advertisers accounted for 14% of revenues in 1H13, up slightly from 13% in 1H12.
About the Research: The IAB Internet Advertising Revenue Report was released in October 2013 and includes data directly obtained from from companies generating internet/online/mobile advertising revenues, as well as supplemental data from publicly disclosed information.
Know someone who would enjoy it too? Share with your friends, free of charge, no sign up required! Simply share this link, and they will get instant access…
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Advertising:
- Ad Tech Report: Is the Medium Rectangle's Era Over?
- LinkedIn Ads Myths, Hurdles, and Strategies B2B Marketers Need to Know: AJ Wilcox on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- The PPC Power Players: Ad Platforms Making a Big Impact in 2023
- The Top 50 Podcasts in the United States [Infographic]
- Out-of-Home Advertising for B2B Marketing Success | Marketing Smarts Live Show
- Identifying the Best Advertising Strategy for Your Business | Marketing Smarts Live Show