The survey of 370 marketers who attended the DMA Annual Conference and Exhibition found 14% are uncertain about the role of Big Data, 3% are tepid regarding it, and just 1% are disillusioned.
However, whether an organization has already invested in Big Data has a significant impact on an individual marketer's outlook: Among those whose companies haven't yet taken the plunge, 22% are uncertain about Big Data’s role in the marketing industry and only 39% are enthusiastic.
Conversely, those who have already started investing in Big Data have few reservations: 60% are enthusiastic, 30% are cautiously optimistic, and only 8% are uncertain.
Below, additional key findings from the report.
Big Data Budgets
- 62% of marketers surveyed say their Big Data budget will increase in 2014.
- 67% of marketers who have already made Big Data investments expect to see increased budgets this year, compared with 57% of marketers who haven’t yet made investments.
- 66% of those already seeing ROI expect their budgets to increase in 2014, compared with 60% for those not seeing ROI yet.
Barriers to Implementation
- When asked about barriers in implementing Big Data, 35% of respondents blamed budget limitations for lack of success.
- A lack of quality data was the second most cited barrier (27% of respondents), followed by limited tools and technology (25%).
2014 vs. 2013
Some 73% of marketers surveyed say improving data analytics will be a top priority in 2014, compared with 38% who cited analysis as a top priority in 2013.
About the research: The report was based on data from a survey of 370 marketers at the 2013 Direct Marketing Association Annual Conference in Chicago. The survey was administered in-person, on tablet devices, October 14-17.
Know someone who would enjoy it too? Share with your friends, free of charge, no sign up required! Simply share this link, and they will get instant access…
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Marketing Strategy:
- Stop Trying to Measure Everything, Use an Outcome-Focused Lens Instead
- Strategic Alliances: Benefits and Risks
- Empathy in Marketing: A B2B Gamechanger
- How to Build a High-Conversion Evergreen Lead Funnel: A Five-Step Guide
- Your Evolving Value Proposition: How to Recognize It and Get Ahead of Agency Competitors
- The State of Digital Marketing for the Manufacturing Industry [Infographic]