For the emails analyzed, those with 6-10 word subject lines had a 21% open rate. Those with subject lines containing five or fewer words ranked second with a 16% open rate, and those with 11-15 words had a 14% open rate.
Despite the effectiveness of shorter subject lines, most emails examined (52%) had subject lines of 11-15 words.
Below, additional key findings from the report, which was based on data from more than 260 million delivered emails.
Emails with the recipient's first name in the subject line had a higher open rate (18.3% compared with 15.7%).
Movie Names and Song Lyrics
- A separate Retention Science study analyzed 3.7 million emails and 22 campaigns where movie names and song lyrics were referenced in the subject line, and discovered they perform considerably better than traditional subject lines.
- Those emails with subject lines referencing movies or songs were opened 26% of the time, whereas emails with more traditional subject lines were opened 16% of the time.
About the research: The report's findings on subject line length and personalization were based on data from more than 260 million delivered emails and 540 campaigns. The findings on lyrics in email subject lines were based on an analysis of 3.7 million emails from 22 campaigns.
Continue reading "The Most Effective Email Subject Line Length" ... Read the full article
MarketingProfs provides thousands of marketing resources, entirely free!
Simply subscribe to our newsletter and get instant access to how-to articles, guides, webinars and more for nada, nothing, zip, zilch, on the house...delivered right to your inbox! MarketingProfs is the largest marketing community in the world, and we are here to help you be a better marketer.
Sign in with your preferred account, below.
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Email Marketing:
- More Meaningful Metrics: Four Tips for Marketers Post-Apple iOS 15 Privacy Updates
- Four Things You Should Know About Email List Validation
- Email Marketing Benchmarks: Trends From 2021
- The Art and Science of Email Survey Invitations
- Eight Alternatives to Open-Triggered Email Sequences in the Age of Mail Privacy Protection
- Email Security: Why You Need DMARC for Marketing, Too