Just over one-third of marketers (34%) did not have a documented marketing plan last year, according to a recent report from Marketo.
However, that percentage varies significantly by company size, with the smallest companies (fewer than 50 employees) least likely to have a documented marketing plan (only 56% reported having one for 2013) and the largest (1,001-5,000 employees) most likely to have one (81% reported having one).
Having a documented marketing plan seemed to be linked to overall satisfaction with a company's marketing team, Marketo found in its analysis: Over three-quarters (77%) of respondents who were extremely satisfied with their marketing team had documented marketing plans.
Below, additional key findings from the report, which was based on data from a survey of 493 B2B and consumer marketing professionals.
- 16% of respondents say they always meet their marketing goals, and 55% say they usually do.
- However, 22.5% say they don't have measurable marketing goals.
- 42% of respondents run five or fewer marketing programs per month.
- Small companies (50 or fewer employees) are the most likely to run fewer than five marketing programs per month.
- Most marketers surveyed (67%) say they email their database fewer than 10 times each month, and 45% say they send emails fewer than five times each month.
- However, marketers using marketing automation software are more likely to email more frequently, with only 27% sending less than five emails per month. Moreover, just 15% of marketers who have been using marketing automation software for over a year send fewer than five emails per month.
- Marketers with documented marketing plans also send emails more frequently.
About the research: The report was based on data from a survey of 493 B2B and consumer marketing professionals.
Enter your email address to keep reading ...
Marketing Strategy Articles
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Marketing Strategy:
- Digging in the Wrong Place: Misunderstanding Where SaaS Growth Comes From (Article 1 of 3)
- A Guide to Growth Hacking for Small Businesses [Infographic]
- How to Market Your Agency During a Recession
- The New Customer Journey: How to Reach B2B Buyers in 2023
- In the Age of Automation, Focus on Strategy: Agency Best-Practices
- B2B Influencer Marketing—The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: Mike Allton on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]