Beyond price, other frequently cited reasons for failing to close sales include failure of the sales team to perform (35% of survey respondents), lack of a compelling product or service (31%), difficult business terms or conditions (21%), and failure of the marketing team to perform (18%).
Below, additional key findings from the report, which was based on data from a survey of 182 marketers, sales professionals, and presidents/CEOs. (Some 67% of respondents work for B2B-focused companies; 25% for B2B-B2C hybrid companies; and 8% B2C-only companies).
The Blame Game
- Aside from price, there is little agreement between sales and marketing professionals about why deals fail to close with qualified prospects.
- Sales professionals cite the lack of marketing assets and support as the top reason they fail to close deals.
- Marketers' view of the top cause of failure—lack of empowerment to negotiate—is more sympathetic to their Sales colleagues. However, the second-ranked cause is not: lack of sales skill or ability.
Sales Closure Rate
Sales professionals say they "strike out" around 70-80% of the time they engage with a qualified prospect (the median sales closure rate of respondents is between 21% and 30%).
Effectiveness of Marketing Assets
Some 76% of marketers surveyed say the marketing assets they create are effective in helping Sales. However, just 46% of sales professionals say marketing assets are effective.
About the research: The report was based on data from a survey conducted between June 19 and July 9, 2014 of 182 marketers, sales professionals, and presidents/CEOs. (Some 67% of respondents work for B2B-focused companies; 25% for B2B-B2C hybrid companies; and 8% B2C-only companies).
Know someone who would enjoy it too? Share with your friends, free of charge, no sign up required! Simply share this link, and they will get instant access…
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Sales:
- How to Rev Up the B2B Account-Based Demand Engine to Accelerate Results
- What Top Salespeople Do Differently Across the Sales Cycle [Infographic]
- Empowering Sales Success—The Role of Marketing in Sales Enablement: Owen Richards on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- What Nicolas Cage Can Teach Us About the Challenger Sale
- Your Guide to B2B Appointment-Setting for Better Sales
- The State of B2B Sales in 2023