Most B2B marketing and sales professionals (60%) say price is the top reason Sales doesn't close qualified leads, according to a recent report from Demand Metric and Showpad.
Beyond price, other frequently cited reasons for failing to close sales include failure of the sales team to perform (35% of survey respondents), lack of a compelling product or service (31%), difficult business terms or conditions (21%), and failure of the marketing team to perform (18%).
Below, additional key findings from the report, which was based on data from a survey of 182 marketers, sales professionals, and presidents/CEOs. (Some 67% of respondents work for B2B-focused companies; 25% for B2B-B2C hybrid companies; and 8% B2C-only companies).
The Blame Game
- Aside from price, there is little agreement between sales and marketing professionals about why deals fail to close with qualified prospects.
- Sales professionals cite the lack of marketing assets and support as the top reason they fail to close deals.
- Marketers' view of the top cause of failure—lack of empowerment to negotiate—is more sympathetic to their Sales colleagues. However, the second-ranked cause is not: lack of sales skill or ability.
Sales Closure Rate
Sales professionals say they "strike out" around 70-80% of the time they engage with a qualified prospect (the median sales closure rate of respondents is between 21% and 30%).
Effectiveness of Marketing Assets
Some 76% of marketers surveyed say the marketing assets they create are effective in helping Sales. However, just 46% of sales professionals say marketing assets are effective.
About the research: The report was based on data from a survey conducted between June 19 and July 9, 2014 of 182 marketers, sales professionals, and presidents/CEOs. (Some 67% of respondents work for B2B-focused companies; 25% for B2B-B2C hybrid companies; and 8% B2C-only companies).
Enter your email address to keep reading ...
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Sales:
- 23 Sales Tactics for 2023
- Three Ways B2B Sales Prospecting Will Evolve in 2023
- Data Providers Need to Allow Independent Audits. Here's Why.
- Eight Ways to Maximize Sales in 2023 [Infographic]
- The Future of SaaS Sales Lies in Interactive Demos and Product-Led Growth
- Resonate, Differentiate, and Substantiate: What Top Salespeople Do Differently