Nearly one-third (31%) of online retailers in the United States with annual marketing budgets exceeding $1 million do not personalize their websites in any way, according to a recent report from Retention Science.
Moreover, of the 69% of companies that do personalize their sites, just 21% offer personalized offers to visitors.
A similar percentage (33%) of online retailers with annual marketing budgets under $1 million also do not personalize their websites; of the 67% that do, only 16% present personalized offers.
The most popular form of website personalization for large and small companies is product recommendations. Other common site personalization tactics include shopping cart reminders, displaying a customer's name, and social integrations.
Below, additional key findings from the report, which was based on data from a survey of 139 marketers who work for online retail companies in the United States.
- Most respondents (61%) personalize marketing emails by using a customer's name.
- Less than half of all marketers surveyed use other email personalization tactics such as product recommendations, personalized offers, shopping cart reminders, and dynamic pricing.
Which Incentives Work Best?
- Respondents say percentage-off discounts are the most effective incentive for driving sales.
- Free or discounted shipping ranks second, followed by dollar-off discounts and dynamic discounts that are tailored to the specific customer.
About the research: The report was based on data from an online survey conducted in July 2014 of 139 marketers with online retailers in the United States. The companies included in the survey spanned a range of industries such as: fashion (22% of respondents), consumer goods (30%), entertainment (6%), big-box retail (6%), and digital goods (4%).
Continue reading "How Much Do Retail Marketers Personalize Websites and Emails?" ... Read the full article
MarketingProfs provides thousands of marketing resources, entirely free!
Simply subscribe to our newsletter and get instant access to how-to articles, guides, webinars and more for nada, nothing, zip, zilch, on the house...delivered right to your inbox! MarketingProfs is the largest marketing community in the world, and we are here to help you be a better marketer.
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Marketing Strategy:
- How to Generate Leads: A (Mostly) Complete Guide for Marketers [Infographic]
- Why Some New Products Get Adopted Quickly: A Lesson From Infomercials
- Marketing Growth: How to Optimize Brand and Demand [Infographic]
- How to Maximize the ROI of Hybrid Events in 2021
- Four Examples of Brilliant B2B Marketing [Infographic]