Technology marketers are increasingly focused on one-sided content tactics even though IT buyers remain heavily dependent on community-driven information to make purchasing decisions, according to a recent report from Spiceworks.
The report was based on data from a survey of 136 tech marketers and 450 IT buyers from a range of company sizes and countries.
Most marketers surveyed say they are trying to connect with potential customers using tactics such as social media (95% use) and case studies (87%). However, though buyers do engage with those channels, they say they are more reliant on peer recommendations (97%) and IT forums (92%).
Below, additional key findings from the report.
Peer Recommendations and Ratings
- 82% of the IT buyers surveyed seek out information from peers during the initial research/awareness phase of the purchase process, and 79% do so when considering particular vendors.
- 80% of buyers look for ratings/reviews online from peers during the research/awareness phase, and 79% do so when considering particular vendors.
- IT buyers say they do use some content marketing assets to research new products as well as to determine which vendors to consider.
- After vendor websites, which are accessed by 97% of buyers, the most popular content types with IT pros are webinars (79% of respondents use) and videos (76%).
About the research: The report was based on data from a survey of 136 tech marketers and 450 IT buyers from various company sizes and countries (71% based in North America; 24%, EMEA; 5%, APAC).
Know someone who would enjoy it too? Share with your friends, free of charge, no sign up required! Simply share this link, and they will get instant access…
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Customer Behavior:
- Discovering the Brain Science That Drives B2B Buyer Behavior: Nancy Harhut on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- World-Class Case Studies; Building Trust on the Internet | Marketing Smarts Live Show
- How Attitudes Toward AI Vary Among Countries and Demographics
- Closing the Loop: How to Deliver Personalized CX at Scale, Even Across Channels
- B2B Marketers, the Customer Journey, and Sales | Marketing Smarts Live Show
- How B2B Marketers Can Leverage Voice of Customer for Business Growth | Marketing Smarts Live Show