Christmas-themed and general winter holiday season emails have higher open rates when sent weeks or even months earlier than immediately before the target holiday, according to a recent report from Yesmail Interactive.
However, themed emails for holidays that do not usually involve gift-giving (Halloween, Thanksgiving, Black Friday, and Cyber Monday) have the best open rates right before the holiday or actually on it.
Below, key findings from the report, which was based on fourth quarter 2013 data from the email campaigns of 30 major brands.
Christmas/Winter Holiday Emails
- Christmas and general winter holiday season email campaigns had higher open rates last year in late October/November than in December.
- During the three weeks leading up to Christmas, base (non-themed) campaigns received marginally higher open rates than Christmas-themed ones, and general winter holiday-themed emails received the same engagement rates as base campaigns.
Declining open rates as the fourth quarter progresses are likely due to increased email volume, Yesmail Interactive concluded. Consumers receive increasingly more marketing emails starting before Halloween, with the peak coming in December, the analysis found.
Halloween, Thanksgiving, Black Friday, and Cyber Monday
- Halloween-, Thanksgiving-, and Black Friday-themed emails all had higher open rates last year the week of the holiday than in the weeks preceding the holiday, the analysis found.
- Cyber Monday emails had a particularly small window of higher opens, with consumers wary of attempts to by marketers to extend campaigns past the actual date.
About the research: The report was based on fourth quarter 2013 data from the email campaigns of 30 major brands.
Continue reading "When Should Marketers Send Holiday-Themed Emails?" ... Read the full article
MarketingProfs provides thousands of marketing resources, entirely free!
Simply subscribe to our newsletter and get instant access to how-to articles, guides, webinars and more for nada, nothing, zip, zilch, on the house...delivered right to your inbox! MarketingProfs is the largest marketing community in the world, and we are here to help you be a better marketer.
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Email Marketing:
- How Marketers Are Approaching Email Dark Mode [Infographic]
- Do Marketers Consider Accessibility When Crafting Email Campaigns?
- Why B2B Brands Face Unique—and Sometimes Self-Inflicted—Email Deliverability Challenges
- How iOS 15 Will Kill Email Open Rates—And How Marketers Can Prepare
- Apple's Hide My Email: A New Reason to Accept Only Corporate Email Addresses