The report was based on data from more than 7 billion emails sent in the second quarter of 2017 by Yes Lifecycle Marketing clients in a wide range of verticals.
Messages with subject lines between 1 and 20 characters in length have the highest average open rate (18.5%), unique click rate (2.4%), and click-to-open rate (12.9%), the analysis found.
Longer subject lines (61+ characters) have slightly higher average open rates, unique click rates, and click-to-open rates compared with medium-length subject lines (21-60 characters).
Some 74% of the email campaigns examined had subject lines between 21 and 60 characters in length, 21% had subject lines 61+ characters long, and just 5% had subject lines between one and 20 characters long.
About the research: The report was based on data from more than 7 billion emails sent in the second quarter of 2017 by Yes Lifecycle Marketing clients in a wide range of verticals.
Take the first step (it's free).
You may also like:
- Five Steps for Leading Email Marketing Through Change and Crisis
- How COVID-19 Affected Email Benchmarks in 19 Industries in Spring 2020
- COVID-19 and Email Marketing: What to Do When Reopening Is on the Horizon
- What If Your Email Metrics Are Off: Who's Really Clicking on Your Emails?
- Best (And Worst) Email Signoffs During COVID-19 [Infographic]