The report was based on data from more than 7 billion emails sent in the second quarter of 2017 by Yes Lifecycle Marketing clients in a wide range of verticals.
Messages with subject lines between 1 and 20 characters in length have the highest average open rate (18.5%), unique click rate (2.4%), and click-to-open rate (12.9%), the analysis found.
Longer subject lines (61+ characters) have slightly higher average open rates, unique click rates, and click-to-open rates compared with medium-length subject lines (21-60 characters).
Some 74% of the email campaigns examined had subject lines between 21 and 60 characters in length, 21% had subject lines 61+ characters long, and just 5% had subject lines between one and 20 characters long.
About the research: The report was based on data from more than 7 billion emails sent in the second quarter of 2017 by Yes Lifecycle Marketing clients in a wide range of verticals.
You may like these other MarketingProfs articles related to Email Marketing:
- Tips, Tricks, and Hacks for B2B Email Marketing Success: Michael Barber on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- New B2B Email Marketing Techniques That Work Right Now: Jay Schwedelson on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
- Email Newsletters: Nine New Best-Practices
- How to Charge Up Your Email Marketing With Video Enhancements
- When and How to Use Plain-Text Email in Marketing: Use Cases, Design Best-Practices
- Email at Scale: How to Increase Campaigns and Manage Complexity